"What IFs" And Ignoring 'No Guns' Signs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with OP. Since the signage does not carry any weight, I ignore it and blatantly I might add. I don't even look anymore. I have decided to carry concealed and go about my way. I have been doing it long enough that unless I make a serious mistake, such as stripping down naked, you will not know I am carrying.

To me the signs are nothing more than a warning that you could get charged with trespassing, which could happen if you are carrying a miniature wiener dog and the store owner is a cat lover.

If someone comes in shooting, I would do the same thing I would if I was anywhere else, take cover, assess, and return fire.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only case I can possibly see an arrest is if someone notices the gun, calls police in on a MWAG and you are confronted by the cops with no store employee action. But I dont see that as too likely.

Yeah I could see that happening, but if you deny seeing a gunbuster sign, the worst that can happen is that management can ask you to leave. Offer to buy the police officers a cup of coffee for their trouble...

LL

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PD does not get to decide. The PD is not an agent of the business and can not trespass someone. PD would enforce an employee/managers decision to charge you with trespass.

This. Its a "will file" and I doubt CVS corporate would pay a manager work time to appear in court to press a trespass charge. Companies like this don't want to become involved in legal entanglements if at all possible. Even if they did sign a complaint, I'd get an attorney and wait till the very last minute to enter a no contest or guilty plea. The odds of the complainant not appearing in court are high enough to warrant exercising the option.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Self Defense Act says it is the business's right to decide who will or will not carry in their business. If I remember right, this section does not talk about what will or could happen to a person who decided to carry even though a no carry sign is present. I would have liked for the SDA/state to be more specific on this.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Self Defense Act says it is the business's right to decide who will or will not carry in their business. If I remember right, this section does not talk about what will or could happen to a person who decided to carry even though a no carry sign is present. I would have liked for the SDA/state to be more specific on this.

Be glad it wasn't more specific. Sometimes what you wish for, isn't what you really want. ;)

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why? So we can create another "crime" for someone who innocently didn't see the sign to get tied up with?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
My attorney has told me that it is his opinion that a conspicuous gunbuster sign could be legally construed as "notice" that I am trespassing, and that if I'm discovered, I could be charged with trespassing without being verbally asked to leave.

He has also told me that trespassing in almost any conceivable set of circumstances cannot make a good self defense shoot into a bad one.

I know that this information helped me considerably to assess my risk vs reward matrix.

I'm not sure i agree with this. Personally, I figure concealed is concealed any place except one prohibited by law. But that's my PERSONAL opinion, NOT a legal one.

Again, my personal opinion is that it would be difficult to find an Oklahoma jury to convict you if you were carrying a pistol in a store with a gun buster sign and found yourself having to stop a deranged gunman or knife man or axe man or whatever he was wielding.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure i agree with this. Personally, I figure concealed is concealed any place except one prohibited by law. But that's my PERSONAL opinion, NOT a legal one.

Again, my personal opinion is that it would be difficult to find an Oklahoma jury to convict you if you were carrying a pistol in a store with a gun buster sign and found yourself having to stop a deranged gunman or knife man or axe man or whatever he was wielding.

Yet, one big issue you're overlooking. That's the Wrongful Death lawsuit that will follow. I can see some slick willie attorney coming after you and saying "if you hadn't ignored the gun buster sign" there wouldn't have been any shooting and his clients wouldn't be suffering this terrible agony and grief that they are now going through.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no, so i know the extent of my liability.

That's a big fat unknown. Especially for a business. When it comes to liability claims, it's not so much "How much will this cost me?" It's more like "How much have you got?" Ask JB if you don't believe me. That's what insurance is for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom