"What IFs" And Ignoring 'No Guns' Signs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well here it is...and I'll open with my disclaimer that this isn't encouraged by any of the recent shootings or any political agengas that come with them, I remain at a steady level of paranoid no matter what the headlines are.. This is not an attempt to encourage others to do the same. This is something that Im seeing grow as possibly a bad habit for the last year or so, and am now Im bringing it to you guys, for the opinions of the LEOs on here, and hopefully some other mature reponses..

I have been ignoring No gun signs, and have not been leaving my conceal kit in the car like I did when I first started carrying.

Last 2 examples- Two weekends ago was heading to a nephews bday party, needed to stop and get a bday card, CVS was on the way, next closest option was Walmart which would have been 6 miles total out of the way. Yes I know spending my money somewhere that doesnt support the 2A ultimately supports them not supporting the 2A, but my mindset is usually more tactical than political. So I kept it on me and was in and out in 5 mins.

Last weekend was out shopping with the wife and kid, wanted dinner before we went home, and stopped at BWW. Again, I did not disarm myself.

I know this is unlawfull and there is some hypocracy involved.
I know that if I get caught I will face charges ontop of never being able to legally Conceal/Carry again.

BUT, despite my disclaimer, I'm a realist, and the recent shootings in 'No Gun Zones' doesn't help my growing bad habit.

So, my "WHAT IFs" is this, and I'll keep it to a single question, WHAT IF, I'm in CVS, with 'NO Guns" posted, A gunman enters, begins his attack, it is completly obvious of his entent, he is engaging innocent unarmed civilians, I neutralize him, is a Judge going to hold me to the law? And if so, to what extent?

Am I completly out of line? Am I speaking of that which is unspoken of?

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...is a Judge going to hold me to the law? And if so, to what extent?

You have to survive what ever it is that you've done to get to court and be judged. Keep that in mind with any decisions you make. Sometimes there are Big Boy Consequences for breaking Big Boy Rules... just like there might be for following them.

Ain't life a *****?

Ek

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Talacker is right. Store Policy doesn't carry the weight of law. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be a long shortly to either confirm or deny that. My understanding is if you get caught carrying at BWW with their no guns sign on the door they are going to ask you to leave which you should do - if you do not, you are trespassing and might get into trouble that way.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentleman I appreciate your comments-- I've been carrying cocealed long enough now that I'm completly confident in my movements, or lack thereof, and that I will not be 'printed' by another individual... So being 'caught' carrying concealed in a location that does not allow it, is not in my immagination of possibilities, becuz that alone would prove extremely irresponsible on my behalf of my actions in the first place... I am looking for insight of what ya'll think a judge/jury will decide upon if worst case scenario becomes reality..

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentleman I appreciate your comments-- I've been carrying cocealed long enough now that I'm completly confident in my movements, or lack thereof, and that I will not be 'printed' by another individual... So being 'caught' carrying concealed in a location that does not allow it, is not in my immagination of possibilities, becuz that alone would prove extremely irresponsible on my behalf of my actions in the first place... I am looking for insight of what ya'll think a judge/jury will decide upon if worst case scenario becomes reality..

Judge and jury on what charge? Trespassing? What is this "worst case scenario" you refer to?

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Judge and jury on what charge? Trespassing? What is this "worst case scenario" you refer to?

worst case scenario being a individual is carrying a gun on a property that is posted no guns allowed, a gunman scenario begins, that individual neutralizes the threat..

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
worst case scenario being a individual is carrying a gun on a property that is posted no guns allowed, a gunman scenario begins, that individual neutralizes the threat..

Again, a "no gun" sign does not carry any force of the law. If you carry into that establishment, and they ask you to leave, you should leave, otherwise you are trespassing. Outside of that, you have broken no law. If you were an employee of the establishment, you could lose your job. It is highly unlikely you would face any legal consequences from neutralizing a legit threat in a posted business.

If the establishment is one that is specifically banned (school, bar, etc...) then this is a different story.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My attorney has told me that it is his opinion that a conspicuous gunbuster sign could be legally construed as "notice" that I am trespassing, and that if I'm discovered, I could be charged with trespassing without being verbally asked to leave.

He has also told me that trespassing in almost any conceivable set of circumstances cannot make a good self defense shoot into a bad one.

I know that this information helped me considerably to assess my risk vs reward matrix.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bama and Bryan, thanks guys, I have never read anything on this topic before nor been ever been part of a conversation.. I have been under the impression that going against no gun signs would put you in violation of the law more than just trespassing.. thanks for the information

Latest posts

Top Bottom