What is a truck gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear the term truck gun thrown around. I am wondering what is a truck gun in your opinion?

in my mind, it is a gun that stays in the vehicle. So my question is how do you lock it up? how much ammo? how do you store the ammo? If the gun is needed how do you get to it if it is locked up? How often do you clean said tool?Do you get range time with it?

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion which doesn't mean much I promise, just ask my wife. A truck gun is a multi purpose tool that does what ever job you may need it for. As long as it is dependable, accurate enough to your satisfaction, you don't care if it gets abused, scratched or stolen. It has one function, to be available when needed and not fail to fire when needed wether that be shooting a varmit chasing livestock, dispatching a injured critter beyond recovery or self defense if the situation arises.

I have carried multiple over the years anything from 22lr, 22-250, 223 ,308 and even 12 gauge. Sometimes even carried 2 guns almost always had a 22lr plus what ever else I chose

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Truck gun...

1722976433207.jpeg

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it has certainly changed over the years. Used to be a handgun either 38SPL or 9mm that was there to pop a rattler, aggressive canine or euthanize an injured animal. Now with all the social upheaval, illegals with no respect for our laws and lowlife criminals running a muck I carry a sidearm all the time and have a Mini 14 with an A-TM stock (w/100 rounds of ammo) in the trunk or behind the seat in my truck.
IMG_7272.jpeg

Could it get stolen? Of course it can but I’d much rather run that remote risk then be out in the world and have a situation hit me in the face and be unprepared. I can always buy another Mini.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont think a "truck gun" has to necessarily stay in the truck -- unless your vehicle is garaged or you live pretty remote, why would anyone do that

Also, the inference is you might need to get to it in a hurry, so why would you bury it under a seat that may have other things stacked on top of it, - then lock it in a strongbox to assure that when it is needed, it will take you at least 4 minutes to get to it

Usually people think of a truck gun as a beater of some sort -- but maybe you dont carry on body everywhere you go, then your truck gun may very well be your primary. I usually have a J frame in a pocket -- but a Glock 19 and a couple of extra magazines in the console - and theres very little else in the console, and a pump shotgun attached to a molle panel behind the passenger seat (Remington 870 Express) that gets covered with a dog blanket if i ever have to leave the vehicle.

But neither the Glock or the Remington are beaters - the 870 is a multi use shotgun that i take camping, fishing , etc. and it regularly gets rounds through it - even if its just goofing off with a clay target thrower

Everybody's situation is different -- if you have kids and car seats, you probably dont want a loaded long gun attached to a molle panel with a bungee cord or a holstered pistol in the console unlocked. Likewise if your AO is a bit more urban than mine - might need to rethink the truck gun strategy

--old pic - I no longer use the Shockwave for this - i just never got the hang of it -i need a buttstock with a 12 gauge --

V8YWz3E.jpg

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom