What is killing my chickens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, OK. But I might not catch anything tonight. So far I haven't caught the same thing twice. And at some point I need to start using the gamecam.

Edit: The only thing I don't like about the cage trap is that it doesn't have a rear door. That creates issues.

My wife feeds birds just outside our front window. I trapped 17 coons one winter at those feeders. 1 the year after. There are models of cage traps that have two doors. I have several.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife feeds birds just outside our front window. I trapped 17 coons one winter at those feeders. 1 the year after. There are models of cage traps that have two doors. I have several.

Well, you know the situation I was in when I ordered the big cage trap. I thought it had a rear door when I quickly ordered it. It is a Tomahawk brand. I have been studying where to make the cuts in order to install a door. The wire is thick and I don't want any sharp edges. This is probably one of my passing hobbies, but I'm enjoying it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you need a rear door in the trap? If it doesn't have a "live bait cage" no extra door needed.

If you are just going to photograph and release don't use a trap, just start a bait pile to draw in critters and set up a photography hut near it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you need a rear door in the trap? If it doesn't have a "live bait cage" no extra door needed.

My front/back door traps are used in barn/outdoor buildings to cover both sides of a wall. I got them cheap in a trade deal, and they work great for that.

Old dilapidated barns are great places to trap.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you are just going to photograph and release don't use a trap, just start a bait pile to draw in critters and set up a photography hut near it.

I need a rear door so that I can more easily position the bait behind the trigger pan, thereby increasing the odds that the predator steps on the pan. As it stands, I have to push the bait to the rear of the cage with a long stick. The trigger pan on this model is located at the far end. Considering what I paid for it, it ought to have a rear door. It does work as intended, but a rear door would make it much easier to bait.

The birds are unmolested now, and I moved the big cage to the side of the house so that I could see it from the window, and maybe catch something really neat. But likely tomorrow or next week I'll place it back in the storage shed to get it out of the weather. It's a nice cage trap, but needs a rear door. I can do it, but it won't look professional. I am divided between going through the back, at ground level, or at the rear, through the top.

Not the best pic in the world, but you can see where the trigger pan is located, related to the front entrance of the cage, and how it's a pain to bait it.

i.imgur.com_G8RsNqu.jpg

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a rear door so that I can more easily position the bait behind the trigger pan, thereby increasing the odds that the predator steps on the pan. As it stands, I have to push the bait to the rear of the cage with a long stick. The trigger pan on this model is located at the far end. Considering what I paid for it, it ought to have a rear door. It does work as intended, but a rear door would make it much easier to bait.

The birds are unmolested now, and I moved the big cage to the side of the house so that I could see it from the window, and maybe catch something really neat. But likely tomorrow or next week I'll place it back in the storage shed to get it out of the weather. It's a nice cage trap, but needs a rear door. I can do it, but it won't look professional. I am divided between going through the back, at ground level, or at the rear, through the top.

Set the bait just inside the door and gently raise the door end of the trap and shake gently if needed to move the bait to the far end. Once the bait is in the far end, lower trap back to the ground and now you can set the trap.

Next time if you have an empty bowl in the trap (as it appears you did with the raccoon, since it ate all of the dog food) just pour water through the cage into the empty bowl. When you open the trap to feed or water a trapped wild animal and try to push food/water in, you risk that animal coming at your arm or leg biting as it goes.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set the bait just inside the door and gently raise the door end of the trap and shake gently if needed to move the bait to the far end. Once the bait is in the far end, lower trap back to the ground and now you can set the trap.

Next time if you have an empty bowl in the trap (as it appears you did with the raccoon, since it ate all of the dog food) just pour water through the cage into the empty bowl. When you open the trap to feed or water a trapped wild animal and try to push food/water in, you risk that animal coming your arm or leg biting as it goes.

Hammer meets nail!!! It nipped my boot on the way out, as if to say that it was getting the last word. You are right on the nose!

Latest posts

Top Bottom