What is your bump in the night protection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyousooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I have 2 chihuahuas that will alert me. 12 ga Rem 870 18 1/2 in barrel 3inch 00 buck beside the bed.
1911 . 45 acp in bed with me. Guns hidden in every room even the bathroom. Forgot sks in the bedroom also.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No bump in the night protection. We are Catholic. All bumps in the night usually turn into kids 9 months later.

So far this post wins.

Here's what God, err, Costa says about HD weapon:

"Rem870.com: What upgrades would you recommend having on a home defense shotgun?

Chris Costa: Well, here is where it can get a little controversial and complicated.

My home defense gun is a handgun. It’s got an X300 Surefire on it and is equipped with a DG Grip switch, which allows me to light and shoot with one hand. I also run a suppressor on it.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and trying to clear your house with an 18” barrel gun – that’s what a shotgun is! You also need to be able to work a light on it while being stealthy and efficient.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal.

I also believe that trying to deal with a threat that you can’t see is a much greater concern than one you can see. If there’s an intruder in my house that is visible, then I am actually in the process of solving that particular problem. If there’s someone in my house that I can’t see, that scares me much more. So imagine that you have someone in your house that you can’t see, you don’t have ear protection, and you don’t have a suppressor and are not using a handgun (handguns naturally being quieter than a shotgun) – if you fire that shotgun it’s going to be extremely loud, and you will probably lose your hearing for a few minutes. Those few minutes can be vital, because the intruder now knows where you are and you’re unable to be as alert as you normally would. Having that suppressor addition is very important to me; using a handgun with a suppressor means if it fires a foot and a half from my ears, my hearing is still protected.

So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun.

When I think of my shotgun as a home defense gun, I imagine that I’m up and alert, waking around the interior of my house or outside the perimeter. I imagine my family is somewhere safe and that I don’t have to worry about shielding them or grabbing them back. When I think of a 12 gauge as a home defense gun, I imagine I’m anticipating an attack and am preparing for whatever chaos may ensue.

Unfortunately, and especially in America, men have a tendency to buy their women 870 shotguns,12 gauge shotguns, or 20 gauge – any shotgun really. And they tell them, “This is for home defense. If you rack it, you’ll scare the intruder away.” But, it just doesn’t work that way. So now you have a woman on the phone with 911, your children behind her, and she needs to pull and manipulate a shotgun while keeping track of her family and talking to the emergency service line. It would be much easier for her to pull out a handgun with a light already integrated onto it, take cover behind the bed to protect herself and the children, and save her family.

And in regards to ‘racking the pump to scare an intruder’ I’m not there to scare the intruder, nor would I want my loved ones to just scare an intruder; I want to shoot the intruder. If someone steps into my home with malicious intent, they get smoked. A pump shouldn’t be used to scare somebody; it should be used to show them that you mean business.

So that’s how I approach the home defense role, and where I see the shotgun and handgun fitting in."

Makes sense to me.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my trusty Colt 1911 .45 acp and a good flashlight on the nightstand and a mossberg .12 ga. in the living room, Both locked and loaded and ready to go if needed.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington 870 12ga. riot gun. Scattergun Tech. Trijicon ghost ring sights,Surefire flashlight forearm,Phoenix Tech.Taclite stock,side saddles on receiver and stock with 9 extra rds. of buckshot,barrel is ported.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Point.....hee hee just kidding (see handgun section) :lmfao:

Glock 33 with hi cap mag and my trusty surefire flashlight.

Warning signs.....alarm system, German Shepherd (outside) and a deadly ankle biter toy poodle inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom