what is your thoughts on 6.5 creedmore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It definately has some sex appeal but is it just advertising or is it the next latest and greatest round since the .308?

Should I get it in a bolt action or build one on an ar10 platform? uses will be hunting white tail and some lopes maybe hogs, general shooting out to 700-1000 yards,

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

This is a pretty solid article on the 3 popular 6.5 cartridges. As a reloader, the availability of quality components is at the forefront of my mind. Lapua makes 260 Remington brass so that is what I went with. You get the same cartridge capacity but with a 30 degree shoulder for the Creedmore.

You be the judge!

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK good article but he don't really compare it to. 308 which is what I am trying to do. Will there be Anymore hunting bullets Become available for the 6.5?

Sent from the not so distant future.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll summarize versus the 308 the Creedmore will have: less drop, less deflection, less recoil, and less bullet selection.

It will fit your intended use nicely, but I don't believe its the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I were to get one, I would get it in a bolt gun and would look hard at the Predator 10 from Savage.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a fan of the 6.5x55 Swede for years. Was excited when the .260 Rem came out and not paid much attention to the 6.5 Creedmore. My biggest disappointment has been in the availability of rifles chambered in 6.5mm. Being a reloader, I like the option of using .308 size brass which I can't do with the Swede. The Creedmore is definitely on my watch list now.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have utilized a 260 Remington for about 15 years now and have gone thru a bunch of barrels and brass in that time.
Probably something in excess of 30000 rounds sent down range with it.
Don't have a 6.5 Creedmore but did have Surgeon run up a barrel for me in 6.5x47 last year.
Tried the 6.5x47 for a few months till the barrel got shot out then went back to the 260.

My feeling is that the 260 is the best choice in 6.5mm and here is why.
It works better with the 139 grain Scenar bullets which are outstanding target bullets.
H4350 is the perfect powder for the 260 to get 2825-2850 fps velocity with a nice mild load that gives good brass life and good barrel life.
Brass choices are outstanding. You can go with 260 Lapua brass or neck down Winchester 7mm-08 brass or neck up 243 brass or even neck down 308 brass. In a pinch you can even go with the crappy Remington 260 brass.
With my favorite loading in the 260 of the 139 Scenar at 2850 fps you are supersonic to 1300+ yards, which gives it a very nice usable range capability.
If you are just a speed freak you can run a lighter 123 Scenar bullet at 3000 fps, something I did for a couple of years with good barrel life and without being over pressure. The smaller capacity 6.5mm choices do not have the same capability without being way over pressure. I tried with the 6.5x47 to get the same velocity as my 260 and just ended up ruining some brass before backing off on my load.

With respect to 6.5mm -vs- 308 the story is a bit different.

If you don't reload 100% of the time you are way better off with the 308 Winchester round.
Factory selection will give you 5 or 10 choices on the 308 for every 1 choice you have with any of the 6.5mm round.
There are choices with the 6.5mm cartridges, don't get me wrong. It is just that the 308 Winchester ammunition is available just about everywhere ammunition is sold in case you get in a bind. For hunting outside of your local area this is crucial.

Bullet weight is important because the 308 factory ammo has bulllet weights between about 150 grains and 190 grains while the 6.5mm stuff tops out at about 140 grains. For hunting applicaions bullet weight and design will determine if the 6.5mm projectiles are suitable. Personally, I would be confident of either bullet on anything up to Elk size as long as proper shot placement happens. My grandparents lived in Wyoming and shot 2 elk every year with a 6mm bolt rifle and never had any issues.

Accuracy is completely dependent on equipment, ammunition, and shooter skill level so it does not come into a comparison as you should be comparing equal levels of quality and accuracy.

It really comes down to what sort of shooter you are and what use you intend for the rifle.
If you don't reload, stick with the 308.
If you shoot less than about 500 rounds a year, stick with the 308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom