what is your thoughts on 6.5 creedmore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.5SLR is better - just a minor modification that give major improvement: better brass life, better barrel life and less bolt thrust.

The reamer drawing I saw for the SLR had a long throat that may not be optimum for shooting out of a short action magazine. I remember seeing a different drawing for an "SLRS" or something along those lines that was better suited for magazine fed rifles. I can't remember where I found that print though. Thoughts?

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.5SLR is better - just a minor modification that give major improvement: better brass life, better barrel life and less bolt thrust.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!
It might be technically "better" but still not be a good choice particularly given the fact that the original question contained this sentence;
"Should I get it in a bolt action or build one on an ar10 platform? uses will be hunting white tail and some lopes maybe hogs, general shooting out to 700-1000 yards."
Anybody looking at a semi-auto absolutely must stay away from the wildcat cartridges due to potential feeding and finctioning issues unless they are a pretty darn good gunsmith.

If you can't buy ammo "off the shelf" it doesn't count in my opinion, so for that reason I (and most other shooters) would disagree just on general principals.

Same with the "Ackley Improved" versions and thousands of other wildcat cartridges.
It brings a shooter into a whole new world or reamer variations, custom loading dies, lack of safe reloading data, suitable component choices, brass forming, etc., etc. If some shooter goes that route he needs to understand a lot more about assembling ammunition than straightforward reloading using off the shelf components and responsibly published data.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be curious as to the knock down power difference (6.5Creedmore) at a grand out of a bolt vs. AR platform... Is either platform viable to put a deer down at that range?
I've never shot anything at that kind of range smaller than the 6.5x284 or .338L

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!
It might be technically "better" but still not be a good choice particularly given the fact that the original question contained this sentence;

Like you yourself said before - if someone asks "what should I get" - the answer is ALWAYS .308

Once you step outside the realm of 308, it's a learning curve and a shooter eventually gets to the point when little things matter - reamer variation, custom dies, brass forming, custom load data - and it doesn't really matter what the chamber is called. A lot of times availability of one or another component dictates the rest of it.

All I'm saying - if you are willing to "work" for 260 Rem - might as well do it for superior 6.5SLR.

P.S. I'd like to hear more about ruining 6.5x47L brass - I bet I pushed every bit of 65,000psi, primer was flowing over un-bushed firing pin and ejector marks on the base; but Lapua brass still took it like a champ - clean, anneal, load ...

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I saw this thread title I was instantly interested. Since getting my Grendel I've done some reading and have become quite a fan of the 6.5 in its various forms, something I've never really previously considered. Unfortunately, I'm savvy enough to understand B Gordon's and MoBoosts big brain posts so I'll just read quietly. Y'all are way out of my league on this subject lol.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question is what makes it any better than .308? Im already pretty invested in the .308 and it does everything I need it to. I think 6.5 is a solution in search of a problem IMHO.

The problem in long distance shooting is certain degree of wind uncertainty.

For same recoil 6.5 will shoot higher BC bullet at higher speed than 308. At 1000 yards 5mph wind call mistake will cost you - with 308 around 50 inches and with comparable 6.5 only 30 inches. That is 20 inches closer to the target.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But as I already said...Im invested in .308...it does everything I need it to I already have my dope at 1000...why start over?

For same recoil 6.5 will shoot higher BC bullet at higher speed than 308. At 1000 yards 5mph wind call mistake will cost you - with 308 around 50 inches and with comparable 6.5 only 30 inches. That is 20 inches closer to the target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom