What kind of man (or woman) are you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite?

• Baitcast

Votes: 54 32.7%
  • Spinning

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • Spincast

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • All of the above - I mix it up

Votes: 55 33.3%
  • None - I don't fish

Votes: 18 10.9%

• Total voters

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finesse with the thumb! I can feel a nest coming on by the way I casted it. Just a little more pressure from the thumb. You can minimize the birds nest that way. It takes practice. You need to start out by over setting the brakes on a baitcaster. This will minimize your problems until you get the hang of it. Gradually back off the brakes as you get the feel of it. I run mine with very minimal braking. The control comes from my thumb. I like the casting distance this gives.

This...When I was a kid my dad bought me my first baitcast reel. He put a lead weight on the end and sent me out to the backyard to practice. Lets just say that I can get almost any birds nest out. He wouldnt let me cut the line...

As far as the others....My grandfather used to be a tester for Zebco as well as an avid fisherman with a few different ponds on his property. I learned how to fish with about any rod and reel there is even spent many summer mornings on the end of a cane pole. As far as fishing goes I am a Jack of all reels master of none....

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at the number of baitcasters in the poll, since most of the responders seem to be spinners. :)

I can't use my thumb...its usually pretty torn up from lippin' bass caught on my spinning reel, and fly rod

Nice. Yeah, count me among those that if I want to create rat's nests, I'll just take a kid with me - a kid can manage one on a spinner. Don't need a baitcaster to create a 'character building experience.'

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some pro bass fishermen like left handed baitcast reels so they don't have to change hands after casting. I still use right hand reels. Funny how easy it is to reel left handed with a spinning reel, and how odd it feels with a lefty bait caster.
This ^^^

If the reel is on the underside of the rod it just seems natural to reel left handed. But put it up top, and I can't do it! :screwy:

Latest posts

Top Bottom