What kind of offer would it take for you to move to a different job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently made the move from the public sector to the private sector and it has definitely worked out well so far. My situation was a bit different, I was very unhappy with my job at the time. I lucked into a position that not only pays more, it was exactly the type of job I hoped to have. It was a little over a 15% increase, better 401k match, benefits a bit cheaper for pretty much the same coverage, chance for bonus and raise every 6 months, great company with great values, plans to triple the size in the next 5 years so there should plenty of room to move up, etc.

It was really a no brainer for me, but the industry is somewhat stable right now. I couldn't imagine taking another position somewhere else, but if I had to put a number on it, I would say a 50% raise with some guarantees of bonuses and stock options. Even then it would be hard and if it was out of state it would most likely be out of the question due to family.

If you really enjoy your current position then I would recommend taking a long hard look at what really makes you happy. I am a firm believer that money does not buy happiness. My wife and I made the decision when our first kid was born that we would give up whatever we had to so that she could stay at home. It has been tough at times, but well worth it.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a $30k-$40k increase in pay, I'd call and quit my old job from the office of my new job. Its great and wonderful to love your job, but loving your job doesn't pay the bills.

Depends...

If the new job is in a place like Los Angeles, San Fran, or Scotts Valley, CA for example you might find after doing the math that the $40K+ will get eaten up with higher living expenses, taxes, home prices etc.

Do the math before you move out of OK.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the design, product development, and technology field, it's good to change companies. You will not progress in your career unless you move around in different companies. It's the difference between remaining at your same level / position for incremental pay raises or jumping titles and getting pay increases 5 figures at a time in a span of 5 years.

The one thing that is known, but not taught in college and the advice I gave my students when I was teaching as a grad student is to switch companies / jobs every 3-5 years. The old mantra of working for a company and sticking with it for 20-25 years moving up the ladder and retiring is no longer valid in today's market. It's actually detrimental to your career outlook to stay at a company longer than 5 years in the design and technology industry.

If I'm hiring and you shoot me a resume that shows that you've been at a company for 10 years at the same job and position, it instantly sends red flags for me.

It tells me one of two things:

1. You got complacent and comfortable and didn't advance due to laziness, or hit a plateau in your abilities and skillset. You may be a "good" worker, but you also aren't striving to constantly be at the top of your game and increasing your knowlege and skills. You were on cruise control and now you either got laid off, demoted, or is in a situation that you need / want to leave your current employer.
  2. It was the only viable employment option due to varying circumstances (got married, kids, staying close to family, ect.) Otherwise, you're awesome.

Now, not everyone fits into these two things and there are exceptions to this. But for the most part, this is the first two things that will pop into my head and for most people running creative design or development agencies or companies. Alternatively, I fully expect all talent that I hire to leave me in 3-5 years, if not sooner. I actively encourage it, because it will make them better designers and developers and and expand their experiences working with other teams of people and experience different company cultures. There is always the chance that they may come back to work for my company a much better person and at a higher salary position. Or, I may one day join the company they work for and work with them as colleagues.

In the world of creative design, development, and online startups, the competition for top notch talent is fierce. Part of that is ensuring that you help nurture the ecosystem of flowing talent and also have a constant influx of new people and ideals to keep a fresh culture and influx of change. Also, this means recruiting talent that is hungry to learn and advance and to constantly improve their talents. This may not be true in other type of employment and may even be detrimental, so this may not apply to your line of work.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what line of work you're in, but in my industry (and many others) it is not uncommon to talk to your boss and HR people and say "here is what company X is offering me to go work for them" and get your employer to match it. If you're a valued employee sometimes they'll even pay you more to stay on. If you like your job that much you might feel out this option a little.

They won't tolerate an employee abusing this approach (doing it frequently/repeatedly). But if you can legitimately earn much more money elsewhere, then the fact is you're underpaid and your superiors / HR need to know about it.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other thing to consider that no one else has brought up yet is your living situation. Are you in a house, apartment, rent a house? Whats it going to cost to break your lease? Is the new company going to pay that? Do you own a house? Where do you live? Are you confident you could sell your house quickly in the current market? I had my old house for 4 months when I moved to OK so that was two mortgages for 4 months. That sucked bad but now that we're through that it was worth it.

I came here for a job though, not a better job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom