What OC do you use and how do you carry it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks need to realize that OC is simply another tool to help with situations that can and probably will get out-of-hand. It's not a do-all tool. There are some people who are just immune to its effects, either naturally or by assistance of ingested chemicals. As I had an instructor tell me, those people are where the stated failure rate comes from.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had very good success using pepper spray on dogs. Never had one come after me a second time after getting a face full of it. I'll keep carrrying it.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's where the failure rate comes from? I've only seen OC "work" 2-3 times, and they only half @$$ wanted to fight before that. In training you learn that it hurts, but you can fight through it. It's pain compliance, similar to pressure points, which will also fail many if not most times in a physical altercation. I think the best benefit OC has is the surprise of letting the attacker know you won't roll over and take it. IMO this would be better served with an asp or Taser.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had very good success using pepper spray on dogs. Never had one come after me a second time after getting a face full of it. I'll keep carrrying it.

I concur.

I have had hundreds of effective sprays and witnessed more.

The issue with OC is that it is a precognition weapon not an in-fight weapon.

OC should NOT be used on someone in full fight mode. Fortunately, criminal predators are typically looking for a victim not a fight. Thus OC becomes a great deterrent, particularly when combined with an effective withdrawal.

Those who advocate tasers or impact weapons for most common self defense situations need to consider the context of criminal assault which is not the same as the dynamics of an arrest situation where those other tools may be more effective.

Michael Brown

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would the fact a person is carrying OC create a legal problem if he chose to use deadly force to defend himself instead of first trying the OC?

Michael

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur.

I have had hundreds of effective sprays and witnessed more.

The issue with OC is that it is a precognition weapon not an in-fight weapon.

OC should NOT be used on someone in full fight mode. Fortunately, criminal predators are typically looking for a victim not a fight. Thus OC becomes a great deterrent, particularly when combined with an effective withdrawal.

Those who advocate tasers or impact weapons for most common self defense situations need to consider the context of criminal assault which is not the same as the dynamics of an arrest situation where those other tools may be more effective.

Michael Brown

Very enlightening post. Thank you sir.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would the fact a person is carrying OC create a legal problem if he chose to use deadly force to defend himself instead of first trying the OC?

Michael

Criminally speaking, absolutely not.

On the civil side of the fence, lawyers can and do attack ANYTHING no matter how reasonable so I would not let what a lawyer might say prevent me from doing something if it was reasonable.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom