What pistol powder are you guys using??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just reloaded 630 rounds of 9mm with Hodgen CFE pistol primer, guys at Jerry's said I should yield around 1300-1400 rds out of a pound...

well after last night I only had enough to fill my hopper and the cans gone, I will assume maybe 300 more rounds can be had in a full hopper, we'll see..

I loaded them at 5.7 grains... Hodgen specs are 5.3-5.9

looking to see what experience has taught you about pistol powders, and which one yields you more round count.. primarily I will be loading 9mm,40 and 45 down the road...

they also had a can of red-dot but it was slightly higher...

I'm looking for powder I can stretch....

what do you use?? how many grains and rounds you can get out of a pound would be really helpful...

thanks

Rob

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're loading at 5.7 grains, you should have enough for 1228 rounds. 7,000 grains per round. If you loaded the hopper full and got 630 rounds, then had enough to load the hopper again, that sounds like you're going to get right in the area.

what weight and type of bullet are you loading? powder charges depend heavily on bullet characteristics.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a new powder or new load i do not like to load more than 25 rounds or so for pistol and 5-10 rounds for rifle.
But i do shoot my pistols from 10-100 yards and many spots in between.

I like HP38 , AA#5 and Bullseye for both my 45acp and 357 mag.
I bought by bullseye in a 4lb jug HP38 and 5 was 1lb and still going
wish i had more though.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had initially filled the hopper to maybe 3/4 and would let it get 1/3 empty and add more.. I think I did this twice, right now though I topped it off and emptied the can so the hopper is completely full and I'm just waiting more brass....

Going out to the range tomorrow hopefully and shoot some of these off, sucks now that I'm reloading I don't live in the country anymore where I could have loaded a mag and went and tried it out before continuing to load 600+...

I am using Berrys RN 115 gr..

I'm waiting for some 147 gr and other stuff from powder valley to come it and that should knock my powder down to 3.7 I believe..

Jerry's also said some guys use rifle powder for pistol and have for years and love it...

I will google hp38 and aa#5....

does AA stand for accurate arms? I'm hoping valley gets some more powder in and if I have the money will stock up a little... looks like they have great pricing and would make it worthwhile even with hazmat fees

EDIT: aa#5 with 115 RN would start at 6.5gr-7 ... ouch... me can't afford that stuff :)

accurate nitro on the other hand starts its load for 115 gr Rn at 3.3- 3.6... these are the numbers I'm looking for...but don't want to be an idiot and merely buy a powder because of its low gr to bullet weight if its not going to be pleasant to shoot

Last edited:

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Titegroup comes to mind of a low volume powder. Only problem is finding it.

Think 6.5~7 is bad? Try loading .357mag. 16.0gr of 2400 pushing a 158jhp

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer Goex FFFg, but that's probably not what you want to hear. :) I have a bunch of .45ACP and .38Spcl loaded with TrailBoss. TiteGroup is a great powder, but you really can't see 4 or so grains in the bottom of a .44-40 or .45Colt case. I've never tried anything else for pistol, except XMP-5744 in .44-40. Not sure it would be very good in the smaller semi-auto cases.
Something about TiteGroup makes you think you're shooting hotter loads. More report and recoil for equal velocity with other powders.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unique and Bullseye are usually low charge weights in most calibers; one problem when going with these low charge types of powders is to make sure you don't double charge any of the rounds. I was loading some 44 Specials last night with Unique, and throwed two charges in one case on purpose just to see. It took it with enough room to seat a bullet with no problem I think; didn't try to finish it that way of course, but wanted to see how it would look. Just be careful to watch for a double charge, and I bet either of these would suffice in a lot of different calibers. Good luck!