What rifle will you be using this fall for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be shooting my sporterized 30-06. What you need to decide is what you are comfortable with though. Anything from a 223 on up will kill a deer. Shot placement is key on these animals and if you flinch waiting on the recoild you very well could ruin your shot and lose that coveted deer. Shoot what you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately up to the distance that you are comfortable shooting and you will be fine. I have found however than there is no cure for buck fever (especially the first one you see).. Take a deep breath and make your shot count.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love to see all the interesting setups here! :) For Muzzelloader season I will carry the Knight disc rifle with Nikon scope that as of yet I have never shot!! DOH!! For rifle I have yet to decide between the following:
Weatherby Vanguard in .270 with Nikon Buckmaster 3-9.
Marlin 336 with Nikon Buckmaster. in 30/30.
Savage Model 99 from 1924 in .300 Savage! (Love this Rifle!)

The problem for me is that I sit there and watch the deer and never shoot! Ugh.. If they were to attack me, I would take em out but they are awful cute. :) I truly enjoy being out there though. I have had much advise obtained from members on this forum. Thanks.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS .223 w/ BARNES vort-x 63 grain HP. Have taken 8 deer from 120 out to 325 yrds. ALL 1 shot. 4 dropped in their tracks, the other 4 went less than 20 yrds.
YES, I hunt with an 'assault weapon" (sic). If not that, a Rem. 700 Black Sniper Model in .223. Those 'terrorist' deer don't stand a chance.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a side note for 'rlt7272' post. I looked at the 5rnd mag. thought $25 was ridiculous, especially since I had bought 10-30rnd mags for $63 from Sportsman Guide. I had 2-20 rnd that came with the rifle. Talked to Game Warden about my idea and he said it was legal. Take the bottom plate off and insert a cpl of dowels to limit capacity to 5 rounds (just like on your shotgun, replace bottom plate. I painted my bottom plate silver to identify the 'plugged' mag. 3 different Game Wardens ahve checked me in the field with this set up with no problems. 1 actually gave a mag of his to 'fix' for him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom