what sort of targets do you guys prefer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like your setup mblaney. I like anything that goes ding or dong that you don't have to manually reset. I like the setup hickok45 of YouTube fame has but his dingers have to be manually reset. Spinners are fun but they're generally kind of expensive.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8" x 3/8" AR500 steel plates off E-Bay for $37 (Shipping included). Threw together some stands from scrap lumber. Cheap and fun.
I have shot these with 9mm FMJ at 15 yards and 223 at 100 yards with no major damage (only very slight craters from the 223) to the plates.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Nice, I'm gonna order some of those plates. I have a good idea for a portable target. Will post picsafter this heat breaks and I get a chance to do some welding.

Mike

mblaney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, I'm gonna order some of those plates. I have a good idea for a portable target. Will post picsafter this heat breaks and I get a chance to do some welding.

Mike

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I have learned a few things after using mine for a while that you may
find helpful in designing yours.

My original plates have exposed or external mounting ears with round holes.
These are vulnerable to damage (see pic) from bullet impacts. After observing the results of a single strike (223), I can see the possibility of these ears becoming
unusable or even detached with as few as 5 hits. Also the round holes
require a nut and bolt to attach chain.

My news ones are square with square mounting holes placed within the
body of the plate. Not only is this more durable but it also allows the
use of carriage bolts which results in a cleaner strike face.

I am not happy with the chains. They allow far too much movement of the plate.
A solid hit will result in a considerable amount of swinging which makes rapid fire
difficult. Also the chain I used (Lowe’s standard duty) can’t withstand a 223 hit.

My wood frames, while quick and cheap to build, are quickly being destroyed
by spatter.

So my second generation target will be all metal with a semi rigid mount using ¾” rod in place of the chains with some form of limiter to control rearward
movement of the plate.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

MDO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could also weld a solid rod to the backside of the plate going up. Then have it welded to a piece of pipe running parallel to the wood frame. Then it would be easy to make a mount allowing the target to swing. You could also then, use a spring to adjust how easy or firm you wanted the target to swing.

MDO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai803.photobucket.com_albums_yy320_Bshae16_Bender_sample.jpg

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I am not happy with the chains. They allow far too much movement of the plate. A solid hit will result in a considerable amount of swinging which makes rapid fire difficult. Also the chain I used (Lowe’s standard duty) can’t withstand a 223 hit."

You can use pieces of old mud flaps. They don't allow taget to jump around as much. Works pretty good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom