What spider is this? There is a bumper crop of them at the range this year.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why do you like widows?

Because i do not get followed or charged at by them. They usually just hang out in 1 spot waiting for
some bugs to come by.

I have put the Widow and the Fiddle back in a jar and the widow killed the fiddle back.
I then put a fuzzy black jumping spider in the jar and it killed the Widow so for sure those harmless
spiders get a free pass.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only found three widows on my place, and you are correct they do just hang out, but with grandkids that come around, they had to go. We have Browns at our house, a fair number of them stupid things - we have found glue traps under/behind the furniture really keeps them in check.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only found three widows on my place, and you are correct they do just hang out, but with grandkids that come around, they had to go. We have Browns at our house, a fair number of them stupid things - we have found glue traps under/behind the furniture really keeps them in check.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bengal-...VdjrUAR1npQxfEAQYASABEgIH7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I spray this around the doors and windows outside and around the baseboards and under the fridge and under dressers/couches and no bug survives long in this house.
2.0 % Permethrin NO smell either.
Great for ridding the place of ants also.

I use it in my rental houses and all are bug free.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glue traps as well. The widows seem to hang out everywhere we put our hands so they get killed on sight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bengal-...VdjrUAR1npQxfEAQYASABEgIH7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I spray this around the doors and windows outside and around the baseboards and under the fridge and under dressers/couches and no bug survives long in this house.
2.0 % Permethrin NO smell either.
Great for ridding the place of ants also.

I use it in my rental houses and all are bug free.
I use Demon from doyourown.com. It’s cheap permethrin. 4 packets in an envelope for about $15. Each packet makes a gallon. No measuring as the packets are water soluble. Throw it in the sprayer and shake well, then spray. The chemical is listed to kill for three months and is safe for kids and pets after drying.
In reality it kills much longer as I’ve seen insects walk across the kill zone and belly up 6 months later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You saw a insect cross the kill zone, then 6 months later watched it drop dead!

Thats amazing!

Did you call Ripley's? 🙂
Proper verbiage should have been, after application, insects have expired 6 months after the chemical was applied when entering the kill zone. 😂

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Proper verbiage should have been, after application, insects have expired 6 months after the chemical was applied when entering the kill zone. 😂

Ah, did it die from the application or from other, more natural causes?

As for us, we spray with Spectricide Bug-Stop everywhere that the goes to the RV that touches the ground. That includes the front legs and leveling legs, electric lines, water lines, and sewer lines. If it touches the ground and the RV somewhere, it gets sprayed.

When I have been diligent in doing the spraying, we seldom EVER see an ant inside. Since we are fixing to be in Texas doing our Summer job for the next few months, I was out this morning to spray again.

I prefer to use the container that comes with the squeeze handle, which can be seen here in this image. I do my best to avoid the container with the pistol style applicator that runs on battery. Sadly, the last two times I bought the Bug Stop, all there was available was the pistol style seen at the right below. I don't know why, but the battery powered "AccuShot" applicator seems to have issues with priming and getting the chemical to come out.

Spectricide Bug Stop1.jpg
Spectricide Bug Stop2.jpg

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I taught my kids to identify a black widow web. They are very chaotic random shape. If you pull on one of the strands they're very strong. Other spiders webs are weak in comparison. After that you look for the spider's hiding spot to verify.

Latest posts

Top Bottom