What started you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaw77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in the state of Washington for a few years - in the Seattle/Redmond area.
The state had a very visible 3 day survival program that they pushed very consistently and persistently due to the possibility of natural disaster scenario.
Earthquake being the chief focus; 3 days of food, water, essentials were the main idea. Online instructional s, giant billboards on buses, public service commercials.
In retrospect - this may be what started me on the prepper path more seriously - but the blizzard of '75 in Omaha where I was stuck in an office for 3 days with no spare clothes, sleeping bag etc was a eye opener also.
What started your 'path' as a Prepper?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A couple of buddies were in the Nat'l Gaurd when Katrina happened. Their stories and a case of Fat Tire beer, sparked it for me, didn't even own a firearm before that.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For me it was around the Y2K scare. I started researching and paying attention to world events, the economy ect.

I started like most with a bug out bag, stored a little water n food. Then got serious and developed a long term plan. I long since quit planning for an "appocolypse" and plan for natural diasters and maybe an economic collapse.

Very good post btw.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I worked in Iraq in 04 and 05, I stockpiled a bunch or MREs and water in my hooch. I actually made a bottled water bunker around my bed for 2 fold. Hopefully it would slow down projectiles and we had a couple of different week long lock downs with no vehicle traffic (read no supply convoys). Also, when we would go on convoys we would go by lines of Iraqis at the gas pumps. In a country that had some of the most prolific oil wells, they waited in line for hours for a few gallons of gas. Right then, I decided that petrol was an important commodity that should be stockpiled.

Ice storm 2007 and the little guy to the left was when I got serious. He was 5 months old and our power was out for 10 days at our house. Luckily I had a generator from an RV that was useable. We were the only ones on our block that had juice the first few nights! Shortly after that is when I joined here and got "into" guns!

like2shoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main thing that got me started was Katrina, and the tornado that went through my town last year. My place is total electric, but I've got a wood burning stove and well, plus it's rather out of the way. I just don't want to fight the crowds/mobs and have nothing in 3 days if something were to happen.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a native Okie, I've always had about a weeks worth of food, water batteries and ammo stored up.

My only problem is heat. My house it total electric. I need a good potbelly stove or something for "just in case."

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a native Okie, I've always had about a weeks worth of food, water batteries and ammo stored up.

My only problem is heat. My house it total electric. I need a good potbelly stove or something for "just in case."

I thought you had a good pot belly?!?

I am the same. Grew up in OK, in the country, we learned quick that weather changed quickly and drastically. I used to have my own stash in my closet as a kid, did as much camping as I could. As I grew and watched the economy, and had a family that depended on me, I did not want them ever to be in need. My kids know and have appreciated it over the years. When weather happens, they come over or know if there supplies run out, they can come home for help.

I am not worried about zombies, (all my family knows to aim for the head), but natural and economic disasters are what I prep for. Going to get back into canning next year and I am pumped.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you had a good pot belly?!?

I am the same. Grew up in OK, in the country, we learned quick that weather changed quickly and drastically. I used to have my own stash in my closet as a kid, did as much camping as I could. As I grew and watched the economy, and had a family that depended on me, I did not want them ever to be in need. My kids know and have appreciated it over the years. When weather happens, they come over or know if there supplies run out, they can come home for help.

I am not worried about zombies, (all my family knows to aim for the head), but natural and economic disasters are what I prep for. Going to get back into canning next year and I am pumped.

The other kind of pot belly, bastardo. :slap:

I hate to sound like a bigot here, but seems to me that us good ol' country boys, know how to "rough-it" and survive better than them city slickers do. :rolleyes2

Growin' up huntin' and fishin' wasn't just for fun when I was a kid. A lot of times, it meant we would eat that winter or not. Same goes with growing your own fruits and veggies and learning how to can. I am so proud of Mrs GED for knowing her way around the Mason jars. :naughty: She learned how from her momma, who learned from her momma, who learned from her momma, who learned from... :blahblah:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Do you by any chance have a gas line to a fireplace for gas logs? During the '09 ice storm, our house was all electric except for the fireplace where we had the gas logs. I disconnectd the logs and hooked up a large blue flame heater that heated the whole house. I was very worried about water pipes in the outside walls freezing. Now we have a gas hot water heater, dryer, and 2 other gas heater connections for the house. And we have a whole house 20kw natural gas fueled electric generator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom