What temp are you keeping your AC right now?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like cold too. My bill is, maybe $400-500?? I don't know, I never look at it.
You must have a huge house, or need insulation like I do.

My parents have a good sized house, keep it cold like you, I don't think theirs has ever topped $350. Usually lower. I just rember them being surprised at $350.

I don't look at mine either. Autodraft. I think ~$200-ish in the summer? Small house tho.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must have a huge house, or need insulation like I do.

My parents have a good sized house, keep it cold like you, I don't think theirs has ever topped $350. Usually lower. I just rember them being surprised at $350.

I don't look at mine either. Autodraft. I think ~$200-ish in the summer? Small house tho.
Well, it's not huge, it's around 5,000 square feet. That's my total bill which includes gas, trash and sewer too. The electricity is the bulk of it though. Pool equipment adds to the total usage too.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
85? I take it you're not married. I've got 1800 ft and the bill rarely runs over $200. I do have a foot of insulation in the attic, good ventilation out the roof and good windows, and decent insulation in the walls of most of my 1800 ft house, which was built in 1948. I just have 10 seer equipment I installed years ago with the upgrade of installation. I'm a heat and air guy.

Insulation and attic insulation is the best bang for the buck. I can cover up heat gain situations by throwing more air at it but it will cost ya.

My wife runs it at 69 summer and about 60 in winter. I do save on gas although I have a heat pump that does most of the work.

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
76 in the summer day and night.....set it and leave it alone. We're on average billing.

I am 76 day/night winter/summer at the house. Total electric with heat pumps except for the lake house on propane heat Do burn some wood in the winter but my fireplaces are marginal on efficiency. No average billing. Keep the hangar at 79 in the summer, 66 in the winter when we are not staying there. Same with the lake house.

Seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the humidity under control and does not tax the refrigerators in the summer too much, have to keep the beer cold.

You have to spend your money somewhere, they forbid you to take it with you.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As cold as it will keep it. I need to insulate my attic. 100 year old house and the unit works great but insulation was lacking in 1920.

My last house, new construction, 70-72. It would maintain that easily and not run that much.

I don't give a fawk what it costs. I work in a non-climate controlled enviroment 4-6 days a week. I refuse to live in one.

85? Do you give your guests lashes and spit in their face, too? Offer them a dirty cup of stagnant pond water?
You might consider getting radiant barrier installed either before or with insulation. The radiant barrier helps keep the heat out in the summer, whereas the insulation keeps the heat in during the winter. I had radiant barrier installed in my house in Texas and dropped the summer electric bill by at least 30%. Didn't get the insulation and really wished I had when winter can't around. Moved back to OK before I got a chance to mess with the insulation part.

As for where the thermostat stays around here, I work from home so the a.c. stays set for around 75* all day. Need radiant barrier installed here but we are planning on being out of this place within the next year so we aren't doing anything that isn't necessary to this house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom