What to do with an old broken laptop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might I suggest....

This is mostly 22lr with a handfull of 22WMR for good measure.

1719263413016.png

1719263393551.png

1719263434994.png

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, last week three of us were on ham radio one night discussing old lap tops. I pulled out a win98 that booted up and an old XP that booted while plugged in. One guy suggested loading linux or what ever it is operating system on them and put them back into service doing some normal stuff with a lot of programs existing out there They would not be fast, but they would be functional.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, last week three of us were on ham radio one night discussing old lap tops. I pulled out a win98 that booted up and an old XP that booted while plugged in. One guy suggested loading linux or what ever it is operating system on them and put them back into service doing some normal stuff with a lot of programs existing out there They would not be fast, but they would be functional.
This laptop wont boot up like just a black screen. The 2 lights on the side are lit but thats all I get.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This laptop wont boot up like just a black screen. The 2 lights on the side are lit but thats all I get.
If you move it around so the light hits the screen at different angles while it's running, can you ever see a faint image of what would be on the screen? I'm wondering if the LCD went out. Do you see a logo or anything at all on the screen when you first turn it on, like before Windows starts trying to load?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually have seen old Laptops run pretty quickly on Linux. It's far smaller than Windows. This worked great on a Late 90's era IBM ThinkPad:

https://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Latest posts

Top Bottom