What to do with an old broken laptop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Search for e waste in your area, most larger cities have programs, Tulsa does. I can drop of most things for free, I would remove the hard drive before I e-wasted although the Tulsa facility assures secure disposal.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In English? lol
External USB hard drive. You can buy an empty drive case for about $20 on Amazon. Put the drive in it and then windows will automatically recognize it and assign a drive letter unless the drive is damaged. If it's not damaged, format it and use it as a back up drive.

Or pull the drive and just hit it with a hammer a dozen or so times. The platters in the drive will shatter and anything on there will be virtually impossible to recover. Maybe by a specialty forensics lab somewhere at $1000 per hour. Probably not by a dumpster diver.

Or since we're on OK Shooters, they do jump around when hit by a high velocity projectile.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
External USB hard drive. You can buy an empty drive case for about $20 on Amazon. Put the drive in it and then windows will automatically recognize it and assign a drive letter unless the drive is damaged. If it's not damaged, format it and use it as a back up drive.

Or pull the drive and just hit it with a hammer a dozen or so times. The platters in the drive will shatter and anything on there will be virtually impossible to recover. Maybe by a specialty forensics lab somewhere at $1000 per hour. Probably not by a dumpster diver.

Or since we're on OK Shooters, they do jump around when hit by a high velocity projectile.
Probably not a spinner, unless it's really old. Besides why buy when I have the connections available for any type of drive? M.2, any type of SATA, I can read or wipe them all. All depends on if he wants to destroy it or not, up to him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom