What to do with an old broken laptop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 5 back in my office- One from 2005 that has AutoCAD on it I still use once in a while when I need to draw a plan for something. The other 4 just died a slow death with one going more than 12 years before I gave up on it- The @ key would not work unless you hit it about 20 times. I was just using as a screen to look at data for appraisal work. I've tried Sony- Dell and Acer. Acer has been the best of any- many years of service for 2 earlier units 09 - 2000- to currently using 2 from 2019 and 2021 that still work great.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, last week three of us were on ham radio one night discussing old lap tops. I pulled out a win98 that booted up and an old XP that booted while plugged in. One guy suggested loading linux or what ever it is operating system on them and put them back into service doing some normal stuff with a lot of programs existing out there They would not be fast, but they would be functional.
I have an old laptop that i installed Linux on which I use solely as the server for my close circuit security system. Doesn't do anything but sit there and record video feeds from the cameras.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom