Whats a good .22 pistol for fiancee to start with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As of two hours ago, the Academy Store in Edmond has Browning Buckmarks with fiber optic, hi viz front sight and wood grips for $ 259. You won't find them any cheaper than that and I have also owned Ruger .22s and I prefer the Buckmark.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned both as well and I much prefered the Ruger. So she definitely needs to try out both guns to see which fits better for her hands. I have a Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel in stainless, and it is freakin awesome.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned both as well and I much prefered the Ruger. So she definitely needs to try out both guns to see which fits better for her hands. I have a Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel in stainless, and it is freakin awesome.

I bought a MKIII 5.5" bull barrel in stainless as well this weekend for 240.00 from Sports World. Took it to the range and it out shot my S&W 22a in every competition we had. Absolutely love the gun until I had to reassemble from field stripping it. ;-(

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a MKIII 5.5" bull barrel in stainless as well this weekend for 240.00 from Sports World. Took it to the range and it out shot my S&W 22a in every competition we had. Absolutely love the gun until I had to reassemble from field stripping it. ;-(

Yeah the disassembly and reassembly are the only negatives about the Ruger. But once you learn the steps its not bad. But those first few times will frustrate the hell out of you. At least now there are some nice YouTube videos out there that will make it easier. The first time I broke it down it took me forever to get it right, but then again all I had was a text instruction sheet that I downloaded, the manual, and an exploded diagram.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah the disassembly and reassembly are the only negatives about the Ruger. But once you learn the steps its not bad. But those first few times will frustrate the hell out of you. At least now there are some nice YouTube videos out there that will make it easier. The first time I broke it down it took me forever to get it right, but then again all I had was a text instruction sheet that I downloaded, the manual, and an exploded diagram.

I did a MKII once. After that its carbon cleaner, military toothbrush, pipe cleaners, and boresnake. I have the MKII, and two MKIII 22/45's in 4.5"slabside, an 4" target. Thats all the cleaning they get, along with a few drops of oil.

22bond

New to the site!
Reaction score
As of two hours ago, the Academy Store in Edmond has Browning Buckmarks with fiber optic, hi viz front sight and wood grips for $ 259. You won't find them any cheaper than that and I have also owned Ruger .22s and I prefer the Buckmark.

The wood grips are pink so it might be a plus for her.
It is a very good price but it is a closeout so once they are sold out, they might not have anymore.

Ruger might be harder to disassemble for cleaning until one gets used to doing it.
Buckmark might look simple but those screws are locite in.
If she shoots a lot, these two can be loaded real fast w/the Ultimate Clip Loader.

SW 22A is the most affordable (Cabela sale - less than $200) and easiest to clean but grips is very wide - the widest grips around.

Best is to try as many as she can before buying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom