Whats in your ccw rotation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and bought a don hume iwb yesterday for my g17, the butt of gun prints big time. What do you use for conceal carry. I just wear t-shirts and shorts during summer. The g29,36 iwb do good but the 17 not so good under t-shirt. Whats your secret.

Unless things have changed, I have read that Mr. Brown carries a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2.

From what I understand, it is similar to the coveted Versa Max 2, but is somewhat "lower" quality (in finish), which still means it is leagues above most holsters of other manufacture. I cannot confirm any claims of quality, as I have never held or used either of the holsters in question personally.

Also it is commonly available from online retailers (i.e. Brownells) and does not require the excessive wait that a made-to-order Versa Max 2 necessitates. At a glance, it appears that the Summer Special 2 has the belt loops closer together, more similar to the holster I use.

I carry a Don Hume PCCH for my XD-40. It had similar printing issues with the grip untill I did two things:

1) Pulled up my damn pants! :P and
2) Got a good stiff belt. I don't have a Looper or a Beltman, but a Blackhawk! CQC Pistol Belt. Nothing fancy, but has a stiff insert and I picked mine up for around 20 bucks. Note: They run a bit small, even for a pistol belt. I am a 34" waist, and a 38" belt on me is by no means too big for IWB.

Now that I have the proper belt and waist height, I can carry wearing shorts and cover with a polo shirt and undershirt (both garments untucked and over the firearm).

If I am wearing jeans that have a lower rise waist, they don't work with the Springfield. In that instance, I have a LCP worn IWB in a cheapie Uncle Mike's nylon size 10 holster. For the light weight of the gun, this simple rig with the plastic clip works great, and keeps the pistol low, just above the waistband of my pants.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
cardsfan, the Summer Special 2 is a completely different holster than the VM2. I believe you're thinking about the Watch Six. And the difference is not necessarily quality, but the construction method, and the Watch Six does not have the reinforced mouthband that the VM2 has.

Watch Six
Versa Max 2

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig 226, in .40, in a DeSantis black "Speed Scabbard". Not much of a problem in the colder months, but have found the summer to be somewhat challenging! That is, until I found the 5.11 Covert Casual shirts!!!

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My big guns in the rotation are Kimber Eclipse Custom II, Springfield Armory XDM 45 or Springfield XDM 40. My backup is a Kahr 380. Defense loads are Car Bon.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cardsfan, the Summer Special 2 is a completely different holster than the VM2. I believe you're thinking about the Watch Six. And the difference is not necessarily quality, but the construction method, and the Watch Six does not have the reinforced mouthband that the VM2 has.

Watch Six
Versa Max 2

You're right - I had confused some of my earlier readings about the Watch Six with the Summer Special, in regards to the finishing/construction of the holster.

:oops3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom