What's the most you'd spend on a knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coye Ridgeback, around $200. Used regularly - it seems to me Coye knives a made to be used, not locked away.

Think I paid $165 for my Ridgeback in the early days, I don't hesitate to pull it out to cut stuff open, cut trimmer line, cut up cardboard, etc. But since it can't be replaced now I don't carry it out of state where I am not familiar with the knife laws. So far the most I have spent is $235 for a nice little Slaughterville custom for my wife. I'm carrying a TOPS Street Scalpel now, I won't cry if I lose it.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Allen Elishewitz blades?

I just got done looking through his website and was not impressed with either his knives or him.

For a guy that says all his knives are made by hand on manual machines and not using outside vendors or CNC, he talks about using both.

He talks about using "high end stainless" but doesn't mention which steel. He mentions using Damascus, but doesn't mention who makes the billets for him.

He talks about double tempering his blades which is great for the Damascus, but the new stainless steel normally suggest three tempers and deep freeze (cryo) treatment.

Whole thing sounds like a bad sales pitch from a guy trying to sell a product at a premium price.

I'm not a big fan of his fancy hollow grind behind the bevel on his Hyde knife. Still shaking my head and wondering why someone would put another grind in the middle of the blade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems he knows a thing or two about making custom knives. member of the knifemakers guild, and american bladesmith society, and has won several awards. some nice looking knives.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being an ABS member cost $60 a year and any can join. He is not an ABS master smith.
The Knifemaker's Guild is about the same, but you have to have a table at one of their sponsored shows every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its pretty easy to determine what steels he uses, check his available pieces. it gives specs there, some quality stuff. the aesthetic isn't for everybody, and the prices are out of my range, but it appears he does quality work.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I imagine if I spec'd out a particularly difficult knife to be built for me and it was something I really, really wanted, I may pay up to $300 for it but that would have to be a really nice knife.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its pretty easy to determine what steels he uses, check his available pieces. it gives specs there, some quality stuff. the aesthetic isn't for everybody, and the prices are out of my range, but it appears he does quality work.

Thank you. I didn't click on the knives to get the blade steel. Seems he is using Carpenter's CTS-B75P, the powder metallurgy form of BG42. It is in the same class as S30V or S35VN. All of those steels require a double temper, and unless tempering to a range in the secondary tempering curve would require cold treatment to reduce retained austinite. I've seen quite a few makers do a triple temper to add another cold treatment when tempering in the primary tempering range.

Zero Tolerance made the 0600 out of the same steel which retailed for about $340, but it wasn't near as pretty as Elishewitz's knives. If I was going for a knife in Elishewitz's price range, I'd go for a Brian Tighe custom. Tighe holds 22 Patents for different advancements he has pioneered within the knife making community.

Don't get me wrong, Elishewitz makes excellent knives. I'm just not big on a lot of the custom makers that put BS up on their websites that isn't true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom