What's was the most disconcerting thing involving a gun you ever saw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing compared to most of these stories, but when I was in high school I worked part time at J.C. Penneys. I was working in sporting goods late one Saturday evening, there wasn't anyone else in the immediate vicinity, and a guy in a sports jacket comes in and asks about some kind of ammunition. I showed him what we had, and he went into some long diatribe about this and that kind of bullet, and some kind tumbles, blah, blah, blah. I was trying to look interested but my mind had drifted off to some much happier place than J.C. Pennys sporting goods.

Suddenly he says something like, "Here, let me show you." He reaches in his jacket and pulls out what looks like a snub nosed .38 and starts talking again. I have no idea what he said, because I had already concluded that I was getting robbed and probably about to get shot. I had my hands half way to the cash register to get the money out by the time I realized he wasn't robbing me.

This was way before CCL, he said he was a private investigator and was licensed to carry it. Scared the crap out of me for a couple of seconds! :rollingla

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2014-15 I think. Did about a year and a half before I went back to turning wrenches. Worked swing shift with mark, Sheridan and I were constantly driving each other crazy. I was always telling him I would take his job.

Sheridan is still with development services, but a code inspector now, has been for a couple of years now I think. Mark is still there. Lot of turnover there, been through a handful of super's in the past couple of years alone. Chris Todaro quit a few years ago, and Shannon just moved over to the airport as a PST (parking enforcement). Darcy is still there, and I think Sam would have started around that time. Wendy and Lynn are at the airport also. Most everyone else I can think of off the top of my head is gone as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 30 years ago I had a friend who had access to field acreage where there were lots of rabbits running around.

One of us would slowly drive the truck and the others would shoot the flushed rabbits from the pickup bed with our .22 rifles.

I was on the right side of one of the guys one time and we were blasting away at a group of rabbits.

I was somehow right in the ejection pattern of the shells from his semi-automatic .22 and they started hitting my face cheek (saved you the trouble of asking why we shot nude!), sunglasses, and one even dropped down behind my glasses and stuck against the top of my left cheek and bottom of my glasses.

I dropped my rifle and tore my glasses off to try and stop the pain. The shell dropped but left a burn mark where it had stayed for a bit.

That reminded me to never be to the right side of another shooter to this very day. When we do some paired security drills at the gun range with our semi-automatic pistols I always make sure I am on the far left so I don't get any more hot brass beauty marks.
I've had a couple of brass come between my eye and glasses from my own pistol. Taught me to always wear a ball cap.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dropped the slide of my carry 1911 at the range, and without touching the trigger, it went full auto.

Scared me silly.

The sear spring wasn't engaged on the sear properly.
That would have scared the pee waddlin outta me too! That's why I'm not carrying my new acquisition until I fully test it out.

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1981 I had a long flight with mutable stops starting at Boston, then the Canarias, then Cape Town, S.A. After a few days we started north to Brussels, with mutable stops, and several overnights, on the way. Our last stop was in Luxor, Egypt. As we were being refueled the Station manager came out to the aircraft and said the Captain had to take the general decks to customs and then go sign the prefilled flight plan. As we were parked about 300 yards from the terminal and the temperature was over 120 degrees he told me to get in his vehicle and he would drive me over as soon as he talked to the passengers. I started to walk over to the vehicle and an army guard stuck an AK 47 in my stomach and in an angry voice began yelling at me. I immediately froze and held my hands up. One of the ladies on board saw what was happening and told the Station manager. He called the guard off and took me to customs.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a couple of brass come between my eye and glasses from my own pistol. Taught me to always wear a ball cap.

Sweat more and it doesn't hurt at all. Shot the whole stage that way with it stuck right between my eyes on my nose. Still no idea how I did it, I was wearing a hat. Removed it after I shot the stage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom