What's was the most disconcerting thing involving a gun you ever saw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My top three ...

#3 First time I got shot. Was through the glasses that I was wearing so other than the glasses, there wasn’t much damage.

#2 The second time I got shot. Luckily it was a 32ACP that hit my coat and the thick leather belt I was wearing. Bullet just creased my waist. Little blood. Can still remember the smell of the ambulance.

#1 Watching the cylinder of a S&W M66 turn with six Winchester Silvertips one foot away from my nose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My top three ...

#3 First time I got shot. Was through the glasses that I was wearing so other than the glasses, there wasn’t much damage.

#2 The second time I got shot. Luckily it was a 32ACP that hit my coat and the thick leather belt I was wearing. Bullet just creased my waist. Little blood. Can still remember the smell of the ambulance.

#1 Watching the cylinder of a S&W M66 turn with six Winchester Silvertips one foot away from my nose.
Details? BB gun on #1?

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Details? BB gun on #1?

Close. #3 was a 177 cal pellet rifle. Went completely through my glasses but did not hit my eye. All three were by my late, sociopath of a brother.

The last one with the 2½" S&W M66, he was really stoned. I mean, bright red, sweating and his eyes bulging out of his head. I knocked on his door and it opens with him putting that gun in my face and me seeing the cylinders turning. His finger was on the trigger.

I just froze expecting my brother to see me and lower this revolver. But he didn't.

He says, "IF I drop this hammer, I inherit everything." My parents were not "rich" but they had inherited some money and made an insanely good stock investment which did not make them exactly poor-folk. I replied, "If you drop that hammer, you are going to get raped in prison." He decocked his revolver and says, "Yeah, you are probably right. You want to get a pizza?" Didn't speak to him for four years until he called me to tell me that the ATF and/or DEA may be calling me to ask if I sold guns to a friend of my brother's who was busted (at that time) in Cali's largest cocaine bust. I was still living in Cali and had bought some guns from my brother who had a FFL. He used my DL and SSN to sell guns to a friend of his who was a felon. TV that night showed the money, dope and guns. When I graduated college, my brother bought two S&W 4" M629s (no dash) and had Larry Kelly tune and port them. He gave me one and kept the other. It was on TV along with a few HK rifles, an AR180 (concerning because I had handled that gun so possible that my prints were on it) and a couple of 380 MAC 11's. No one from ATF or DEA called me to ask IF I sold guns or had any stolen. Which tells me that they did not have a data base of firearm owners.

When my brother died in 2009, I went out to Cali to make sure he was dead.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of other bad gun stories ... Two different times at the same range in LA.

Once, a young girl was shooting at the station next to me while her father was at the other end of the line shooting black powder. She was shooting a small Beretta 25ACP and each time she would fire she would look at her spotting scope and when she did that, she would cross her gun hand over her left arm pointing the Beretta with the hammer back at me. As I was standing up to back away, the Range Master was on her like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Called her father over and told him to supervise his minor daughter or get off his range. The next and last time I was at that this range, another young girl was shooting a 22 bolt action and to cock the rifle, she would bring the rifle up across her chest to work the bolt pointing the barrel right at me. Range Master gave her and her father the boot.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, some of you guys have some hair-raising stories. I haven’t experienced anything that even came close, but here’s mine.

I was shooting at a local indoor range - it shall remain unnamed, but it was here in Tulsa - the middle of the morning one weekday, and I was the only one shooting. After a while, a youngish couple came in with a boy about 10-12 years old whose face bore the unmistakable appearance of Down’s Syndrome. They got a lane nearby, and unpacked a Glock. I kept shooting, with one eye on the neighbors. The father put some rounds down range, then he got the boy in front of him and handed him the pistol. The boy promptly put his first round in the ceiling, and the second round in the floor to my front, before the father stopped him.

I promptly packed up and left, informing the employees on my way out.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK since the rest of you are sharing I will share one of mine weirdest. Years ago I was working as a bouncer in a gay bar. A young "queen" and her boyfriend got very drunk and got into a big fight. Seems boyfriend was making eyes at someone else and queenie saw him. We threw them both out.

A little later I stepped outside for a cigarette since I needed the fresh air. (yea you had to be there) queenie shows up in full drag waving a sawed off shotgun around. She as going to kill us all she yelled. No body loved her, even her parents disowned her, got fired from her job for showing up dressed as a girl (late 70s)

I started lying my a$$ off. I always liked her, thought she was hot, yada yada yada. Kept it up until I got close enough to grab the gun and hit her with it. Cops got there and laughed their a$$es off but I sat on the curb and shook for hours it seemed like. Then threw up. A friend had to drive me home I was shaking so bad.

I am not ashamed to admit I have never been so scared in my life. Most of my run ins have been with knives and it has gotten to the point I will just shoot the next person to pull a knife on me, but in my book nothing compares to a crazed drag queen with a gun.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 20 Citori go off in my hands outside a duck blind while standing behind a good friend of mine.

I loaded it, closed it, and the bottom barrel fired. Scared both of us to death. It was pointed at the ground between the 2 of us. We were about 16-17 yo. Tested it over and over without shells, and sometimes if would snap and sometimes it wouldn't.

I took it in to have it looked at, and the guy swore it was fixed. As soon as I picked it up I took it to a gun show in Pryor and traded it to a dude for a Light Belgium 20. Told him the issue. Told him it had been fixed, and told him I'd never carry it again so it had to go. Dude traded me straight across for the A-5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom