What's with all of the 9mm's for sale in the classifieds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm ammo and 9mm handguns???
Thought this was a popular caliber....

Is it because the ammo is hard to find or something else?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be more intrigued if there were a sudden influx of an uncommon caliber.

I do get what you're saying though. When I was looking for a nice scope, I was shocked at how many Nightforce scopes were available on the used market. I still havent figured that one out but it gave me reason to pause.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been saying for a few months, if another AWB and/or mag capacity ban passes, alot of people won't want to carry only ten rounds of 9mm. When your capacity is (in some cases) cut in half, you might as well carry 10 rounds of something more effective.
My two cents. Hope I'm proven wrong.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And to add, there's 10mm also, but that's a different post all together.
I understand there's a huge push for 9mm, in both weapons and caliber so it makes sense it'll be the most seen, traded, sold, or bought on any site...
I never could find the interest in this caliber for some reason, heck maybe I need to give it a try now.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One theory:

9mm is by far the most popular caliber handgun post Rona. Every manufacture pumped out tons of them, millions of new gun owners grabbed what they could and are now moving them, upgrading or downsizing.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first made the transition from revolver to semi-auto, the 9mm was called a pusillanimous sub caliber round. At least in my neck of the woods.

I think a lot of it was the ghost of the Miami FBI shootout still lingering around. I remember when OHP were doing their transition, troopers could only carry a .45ACP and it could only be a DA/SA Sig P220 or a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen 4506 or 4566.

Technology has also had a lot to do with the craze over the 9mm cartridge. It has been revamped and with today's weaponry, it's more reliable. Then, of course, the absolute flooding of new gun owners has a big part of the 9mm's recent popularity.

I own two 9mm pistols and I swore I would never own one. I was a big .40 S&W disciple for many, many years. I really don't know exactly when or why I ditched that caliber, but I did nonetheless. I still have my gen2 Glock 22, that is officially retired, but I really don't see my ever buying another .40 S&W.

Latest posts

Top Bottom