What's with all of the 9mm's for sale in the classifieds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
When I first made the transition from revolver to semi-auto, the 9mm was called a pusillanimous sub caliber round. At least in my neck of the woods.

I think a lot of it was the ghost of the Miami FBI shootout still lingering around. I remember when OHP were doing their transition, troopers could only carry a .45ACP and it could only be a DA/SA Sig P220 or a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen 4506 or 4566.

Technology has also had a lot to do with the craze over the 9mm cartridge. It has been revamped and with today's weaponry, it's more reliable. Then, of course, the absolute flooding of new gun owners has a big part of the 9mm's recent popularity.

I own two 9mm pistols and I swore I would never own one. I was a big .40 S&W disciple for many, many years. I really don't know exactly when or why I ditched that caliber, but I did nonetheless. I still have my gen2 Glock 22, that is officially retired, but I really don't see my ever buying another .40 S&W.

wasn’t .40 popular back in the day because it would go through a windshield better than 9mm or something?

I have 9mm and I did have a good stash of .40 and a few glocks in .40. I mainly carry .45 so I downsized and got rid of the .40’s entirely because it didn’t make sense anymore. Much easier to stash 9mm and .45.. oh and 38spl. But now I’m an idiot and added 380 to the stable. Lol

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wasn’t .40 popular back in the day because it would go through a windshield better than 9mm or something?

I have 9mm and I did have a good stash of .40 and a few glocks in .40. I mainly carry .45 so I downsized and got rid of the .40’s entirely because it didn’t make sense anymore. Much easier to stash 9mm and .45.. oh and 38spl. But now I’m an idiot and added 380 to the stable. Lol
I think the reason for the birth of the .40 S&W was because a lot of shooters didn't care for the 9mm, but all the .45s back then were single stack, and basically, your only choices were 1911s, the Sig P220, the Ruger P90 and the S&W 645/4506 and it's variants.

The ..40S&W supposedly had more power than the 9mm and could be had in the same size weapon as the 9mm pistols while only losing a few rounds in capacity.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are plenty of people who grudgingly concede the 9mm is barely adequate for self defense. As long as it's fired from a Browning High Power.
The 9mm is useless against ground squirrels if fired from a Glock, SIG, HK, etc.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the reason for the birth of the .40 S&W was...
I'm sure you know this as well as I do, but, for those who don't, here goes: After the shootout in Miami, when the FBI was looking to replace their "ineffective" 9mm service pistols, Smith & Wesson developed the 10mm. The FBI adopted it, only to find out later that some of their smaller statured officers could not shoot the 10mm round effectively. Smith & Wesson then went back to the drawing board, downsized the 10mm by shortening the case, and so developed the .40 S&W cartridge from it (thus, the forty "short and weak" to fans of the 10mm). As for the reasons behind the popularity of the .40 S&W, the rest of your argument explains that quite well. :D

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Bunch of country's used the 380ACP in their military side arm. So I think there has been enough studies to say it is at least adequate. All the info I have studied and the arguments I have read on the subject just makes me want to practice to get the groups tight and where I point and hope like heck I never have to find out if all the practice mattered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom