What's with all of the 9mm's for sale in the classifieds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first made the transition from revolver to semi-auto, the 9mm was called a pusillanimous sub caliber round. At least in my neck of the woods.

I think a lot of it was the ghost of the Miami FBI shootout still lingering around. I remember when OHP were doing their transition, troopers could only carry a .45ACP and it could only be a DA/SA Sig P220 or a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen 4506 or 4566.

Technology has also had a lot to do with the craze over the 9mm cartridge. It has been revamped and with today's weaponry, it's more reliable. Then, of course, the absolute flooding of new gun owners has a big part of the 9mm's recent popularity.

I own two 9mm pistols and I swore I would never own one. I was a big .40 S&W disciple for many, many years. I really don't know exactly when or why I ditched that caliber, but I did nonetheless. I still have my gen2 Glock 22, that is officially retired, but I really don't see my ever buying another .40 S&W.

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I've always heard that the 9mm round is in fact a recognized NATO round and therefore is more popular around the globe than some other non-NATO ammunition. Manufacturers tool up to produce the round because demand is very high and its pricing is very sensitive to supply shortages because of the increase demand.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this is correct or not, but I've always heard that the 9mm round is in fact a recognized NATO round and therefore is more popular around the globe than some other non-NATO ammunition. Manufacturers tool up to produce the round because demand is very high and its pricing is very sensitive to supply shortages because of the increase demand.
Yes 9mm is the standard NATO pistol round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom