What's your opinion on...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
marking up a new/unused AR lower $10-20 for not being on the books?

Do you guys think that it's chicken **** to try and sell a lower for $10-20 more than you paid for it because the person buying wouldn't have it in their name? Got into a debate with a guy I work with at lunch on this topic. I feel like i'd pay $20 more than I can buy it new but I guess some people don't care if it's in their name or not.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If someone is willing to buy it at that price, it isn't chicken sh$t. I've seen people express their willingness to pay a little more for no 4473.

A purchase requires two willing participants.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At gun shows I have lost many sales to people who are selling at a higher price with no 4473. People have approached me on several occasions offering me more money if there was no paperwork. I just always figured it was a ATF sting, or someone that may have a criminal background that can only buy that way.

Don't get me wrong I am sure there are people with no criminal background that want all their purchases to be off the books, fearing that the government will someday take their guns.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
marking up a new/unused AR lower $10-20 for not being on the books?

Do you guys think that it's chicken **** to try and sell a lower for $10-20 more than you paid for it because the person buying wouldn't have it in their name? Got into a debate with a guy I work with at lunch on this topic. I feel like i'd pay $20 more than I can buy it new but I guess some people don't care if it's in their name or not.

All guns have traditionally been higher from private sellers (no paperwork) than from dealers and I'm talking for the last 40+ years not just recently.
Just don't go out and buy a bunch and start selling them. The ATF will get you either as a strawman or dealing without a license.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if someone started asking if the transaction is being recorded may be a red flag. If someone wants to be extra careful that's fine. I'm not gonna ask for ID selling a used gun of mine unless I get weird vibe. Probably wouldn't sell at all in that case, better safe then sorry.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It came up because he's looking at building an AR and was looking on armslist and facebook for lowers and noticed that the used ones were priced a little bit higher than new(some were a lot higher than new). I told him it was par for the course but he didn't get it really.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It came up because he's looking at building an AR and was looking on armslist and facebook for lowers and noticed that the used ones were priced a little bit higher than new(some were a lot higher than new). I told him it was par for the course but he didn't get it really.

That's just armslist and FB..... notice just about everything else firearm related is asked for at a premium as well. My stuff is gold yours is junk.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's just armslist and FB..... notice just about everything else firearm related is asked for at a premium as well. My stuff is gold yours is junk.
This exactly!

Gun prices have come down lately, especially on AR components, and most sellers either haven't realized they are asking more for their used stuff than you can get it new, or they are banking on the fact that a lot of buyers don't check prices and they take advantage of that.

I find the best pricing almost always online, but I think a lot of buyers don't even check online before overpaying for used stuff locally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom