What's your opinion? Remington, Surgeon, or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build the Surgeon in 308. In a year or so buy another Surgeon, build in 260, but look at 6.5-284 before you do. Surgeon has a larger actions that will take 338 Lapua, build one of those down the road. Repeat process as often as you can. Check out the 5R barels here too.

http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/

There really isn't anything like having a rifle built the way YOU want, not what some company makes for the masses. It is a terrible addition (custom rifles), I could help you by taking that Surgeon off your hands. I may even have a Remy sitting around that would be good trade stock.

You had to get me thinking of the 6.5-284 again didn't you! LOL

I really don't think I want to afford three custom rifles to be honest...so...would I be better off getting a surgeon long action and chambering for a 6.5-284 or a straight 284 for higher bc bullets and longer barrel life? For hunting I think that is a much better deal, and the ballistics are way better on both cartridges than a .308 with better bullet seleciton...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You had to get me thinking of the 6.5-284 again didn't you! LOL

I really don't think I want to afford three custom rifles to be honest...so...would I be better off getting a surgeon long action and chambering for a 6.5-284 or a straight 284 for higher bc bullets and longer barrel life? For hunting I think that is a much better deal, and the ballistics are way better on both cartridges than a .308 with better bullet seleciton...

I don't know about that last part... I'm a .308 fanboy though and I recognize its limitations in seriously reaching out there aways.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say bullet selection in reference to BC factors, etc. You can get a good BC 30 cal bullet, but it's about to heavy for a 308. Both the 6.5 and .284 have better bullet selections in lighter and heavier bullets with higher bc's...I don't want to start anything I can't argue much cause I don't know much...lol I just think both of the others have better bullets available.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like my Surgeon 260 and its lights out but the 5R 308 behind it shoots really well to. I just went is steps I bought the 5R in the AICS and shot it while gathering parts over time for the 591 260.

ai571.photobucket.com_albums_ss157_dustintc00k_dustin046.jpg

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rifles! What barrel contour is the 260? I'm getting back to the 260! I noticed a local store carries factory 260, just in case...

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.5 has some good (as in high BC) bullets available.

That 260 case is based on the .308 Win (necked down), doesn't take too much powder, good performance, mild recoil.........

Am thinking my next one may be a .260AI maybe?

If you are serious about shooting, and have done enough of it to develop some good skills, then use your nice Surgeon action and get a custom rifle built.

Suggest GAPrecision, Jon Beanland, WmRoscoe (did you see Mavrick's new rifle?), or maybe Jered over at APA?

It WILL be worth the wait, and it WILL be better than a box-stock rifle.

Or, you can get something off the shelf and always wonder......what if???

Latest posts

Top Bottom