whats youre favorite CCW and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good belt is #1. I tried two 1.25" belts and those aren't nearly as comfortable as the 1.5" belt I have now. All were Looper Leather products.

I like holsters that have a body shield. It makes it bearable to wear against skin. My favorite holster to date is a Wilson Combat Lo-Pro (low profile). They run about $100. These are much better than some more expensive holsters I've tried.

On warm days I'm carrying a M&P9c in a Desantis holster in the front pocket of my shorts. On cooler days I'm carrying a full-size 1911 outside-the-waistband on the hip with the Lo-Pro. I like the thin profile of a 1911. The M&Ps are thicker and it's harder to hide the 9c on my hip than it is to hide the 1911. Sometimes I carry the 1911 in my front pocket, but I only have one pair of shorts with pockets that big.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good belt for sure, I carry a 3913 and can make it disappear very easily. I personally prefer OWB holsters, but most seem to like the IWB type.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig P226 9mm. Because it has the best feel, best availablity of ammo, holds resale value, and is proven as a quality combat/ home defense/ law enforcement/ personal defense and recreation firearm.

khill01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a S&W 340 pd. The weight is greate for concealled carry & becase it is 357 allows to shoot 38 Special as well. I also like the reliability of a revolver versus semi-auto...just a personal preferance..the downside is only 5 shot. Hopefully, I won't need more than that.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have recently converted from carrying my SIG P220 on my hip in a Galco belt slide to a GLock 19/Gen 4 in a Blackhawk Serpa set up in a crossdraw. Reason for the crossdraw is because I am sitting down and in a car a lot. Very happy with this set up.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
G19 for the last 14 years. I shot a G19 when they were first released to the states, and I don't know why, but I just fell in love with it. Simplicity, and incredible reliability. I've sometimes carried other guns, but always come back to the G19. My favorite setup, is a 3rd Gen with the finger grooves removed, and stippled grip, as well as undercut trigger guard. I haven't warmed up to the Gen 4's yet, but might give it another shot once they get the bugs worked out.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on dress, where, when, and so on:
Glock 30sf in either an RM Low Rider or a Looper OWB; or Glock 19 in an RM Low Rider or Kramer belt scabbard; or Kahr CW9 in a JS IWB or Kramer belt scabbard, or PPK/S in an RM Low Rider or Alessi OWB, or a S&W 642 in either a pocket holster (several) or a Sideguard IWB Minimal Clip. Some days it's a bottom feeder and somedays I feel like wearin' a wheelgun.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how my CZ P-01 was the perfect carry gun. Save the rail (which doesn't bother me, but makes it fit into holsters made for the M&P better), its absolutely perfect in nearly every way for CCW.

I've carried a bunch of different guns in my time and I've sold all of them in the name of finding one or two that worked best for me. I've carried and sold a Sig P228r, a Sig P6, a G19, an FNP-9, an M&P9c, a Kahr K9, a Springfield EMP, an HK USP, and several others that I can't remember right now.

I'm down to just the CZ P-01 and a 642 for pocket carry (sold the M&P 340CT because the weight difference wasn't that important to me and I never shot .357 Mag out of it). The CZ's grip is slimmer than the G19 (which was probably my next favorite carry gun other than its bar-of-soap feel and bulk), and still holds 15rds.

Legendary accuracy and reliability as well as customer service out of Kansas City (parts are usually less than two days away if I want to change something out or upgrade).

Its ergonomically better than the Sig (and it doesn't have the super-fat grips), and I just broke out my dad's S&W 3913 the other night as I was going to purchase one and I found that the P-01 is barely bigger (and the grip is barely fatter) and it holds 15rds.

I really loved the M&P9c, but the aggressive hollow-point rounds hanging on the feed-ramp always bothered me (I know you're supposed to slingshot the slide and not worry about it, but if you've ever not slingshot a 9c hard enough and experienced a hang, it'll start messing with your head).

I'm actually seriously thinking of getting either a 75 compact or another P-01 for the wife as I pretty much hold the 75 compact models as quite possibly the perfect CCW gun. I actually prefer the D/A first trigger pull on SD weapons as I absolutely have to ensure that I want to pull the trigger in order to shoot a bad-guy. I practice with Sig P226s in training, so I get pretty close to the same trigger experience in training as I do with CCW.

The only thing I hate about the CZs are the cheezy glow-in-the-dark night sights (and the newer models don't have them anymore from what I understand).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how my CZ P-01 was the perfect carry gun. Save the rail (which doesn't bother me, but makes it fit into holsters made for the M&P better), its absolutely perfect in nearly every way for CCW.

I've carried a bunch of different guns in my time and I've sold all of them in the name of finding one or two that worked best for me. I've carried and sold a Sig P228r, a Sig P6, a G19, an FNP-9, an M&P9c, a Kahr K9, a Springfield EMP, an HK USP, and several others that I can't remember right now.

I'm down to just the CZ P-01 and a 642 for pocket carry (sold the M&P 340CT because the weight difference wasn't that important to me and I never shot .357 Mag out of it). The CZ's grip is slimmer than the G19 (which was probably my next favorite carry gun other than its bar-of-soap feel and bulk), and still holds 15rds.

Legendary accuracy and reliability as well as customer service out of Kansas City (parts are usually less than two days away if I want to change something out or upgrade).

Its ergonomically better than the Sig (and it doesn't have the super-fat grips), and I just broke out my dad's S&W 3913 the other night as I was going to purchase one and I found that the P-01 is barely bigger (and the grip is barely fatter) and it holds 15rds.

I really loved the M&P9c, but the aggressive hollow-point rounds hanging on the feed-ramp always bothered me (I know you're supposed to slingshot the slide and not worry about it, but if you've ever not slingshot a 9c hard enough and experienced a hang, it'll start messing with your head).

I'm actually seriously thinking of getting either a 75 compact or another P-01 for the wife as I pretty much hold the 75 compact models as quite possibly the perfect CCW gun. I actually prefer the D/A first trigger pull on SD weapons as I absolutely have to ensure that I want to pull the trigger in order to shoot a bad-guy. I practice with Sig P226s in training, so I get pretty close to the same trigger experience in training as I do with CCW.

The only thing I hate about the CZs are the cheezy glow-in-the-dark night sights (and the newer models don't have them anymore from what I understand).

I don't think I've ever shot a CZ pistol (or anything for that matter), but I'll have to try them. I held one the other day at Academy, and liked it, as did my wife.

And as far as hating the sights, that's an easy to change out if it you wanted to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom