When 7n6 Hits $1/rd I think I Must Sell Out...What do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
there's people sitting on a lot of 7n6 too. i hope some sell off while the other supply drizzles up. and i hope it doesn't get too crazy. i regret shooting as much of that stuff as i did, it was my cheap range ammo but that's how it goes.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah man no regrets, you shot it while it was cheap. 5.45 is a just-for-fun caliber anyway, 5.56 has far more advanced loads CONUS and really only loses out to 5.45 by the metric of short barrel performance. 7.62x39 has more hunting applications and 5.56 has more LARP/long-range applications. Obviously, this conversation would be a little different if we had access to the newer military 5.45 cartridges but 7n6 is pretty close to M855 and both suck compared to modern AP stuff. M855A1 blows both out of the water.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is enough demand for PSA to make a line of 5.45 rifles nearly a decade after the 7n6 ban. I won't argue that there isn't a -huge- demand for 5.45 but economies of scale are a thing. 5.56 is relatively cheap (past 18 months notwithstanding) because the supply and demand are always relatively balanced. 5.56 isn't cheap because of the demand alone, but the supply as well. Once demand is large enough (and for 5.45 I believe it is) the market is a large-scale market and investment can be justified, yadda yadda. Even if 5.45 is only a 1-2 million rounds per year market, that is still a fair amount of money to be made and someone will do it. I don't see it stabilizing at a price that is more than 5.56's price plus 5-10 cpr at most.
I think less and less people will be buying the 5.45 PSA guns in favor of the .223 AKs for obvious reasons...The demand for 5.45 PSAs will decrease as ammo supply is shut down. less demand for those guns, less demand for that ammo, less incentive for manufactures to mass produce that cartridge.

I think we just have to disagree for now and let the future unravel the debate.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think less and less people will be buying the 5.45 PSA guns in favor of the .223 AKs for obvious reasons...The demand for 5.45 PSAs will decrease as ammo supply is shut down. less demand for those guns, less demand for that ammo, less incentive for manufactures to mass produce that cartridge.

I think we just have to disagree for now and let the future unravel the debate.
Fair, and the wonderful thing about markets is they are not rational. So really you can't rely on logic for either side of the debate. K-Var/Arsenal have huge untapped markets and people send them emails all the time about stuff they should release... and instead they drop a re-run of the SAS M7 underfolder which nobody was asking for... (in an ugly VSKA grey cerakote color no less!) Lol.

no it's worthless already! sell it all!!
i'm seeing those comments all over reddit and i really don't think they are being obtuse.
Because plebbitors are fools and gamers who only bought into 5.45 because of Tarkov

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t forget, milsurp 7n6 is corrosive. That’s a major reason I got out of the AK74 game several years back, as I didn’t want to have to rush to the gun bench to do a frantic cleaning every time I got home from the range, especially with the 5.56 kid already on the block.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t forget, milsurp 7n6 is corrosive. That’s a major reason I got out of the AK74 game several years back, as I didn’t want to have to rush to the gun bench to do a frantic cleaning every time I got home from the range, especially with the 5.56 kid already on the block.
nah i usually just drink a bunch of beer and pee down my barrel before packing up. no issues.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for every time I've read an "I'm getting out of 5.45" thread...

AK enthusiasts will part with a lifetime supply of ammo and rifles purchased on the cheap because someone on the net decided that 5.45's "a dead round". Then they'll turn around and drop $3k+ on a 104FR because someone somewhere decided it was the new hotness. All despite the fact that everyone bitched for years about 104's being overpriced (at 1/3rd the cost) with subpar painted finishes. It's all exhausting.

Keep the rifle, keep the ammo and be glad that you bought in when you did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom