When I was 15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We must be kin! Spent most summers working in the Rush Creek and Washita River Bottoms hauling hay and cutting broomcorn (baling it came in early fall after it cured, stacked in the broomcorn sheds). Cutting corn you wore long-sleeves buttoned at the neck even in the 100 degree temps! That corn sure would make you itch!

Yes, and at the end of the day, when you worked loading the thrasher tables, some wise rear would throw a branch of bow needles under your rear as you reared back to pick up the corn. I did not know what a bow needle was until I came to Oklahoma.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My summers and Christmas breaks were spent in North Pennsylvania, digging holes and painting barns/fences. Cut a lot of firewood for my grandpa's wood stove to get them through the cold winter. I used to get a pickup bed full of sweet corn in trade for jobs around my cousin families farm. My brother and I would sell the corn off of the old state Highway. I always used some of my money every year to go to the flea market and buy every Garcia and Mitchell 300,302, and 304 fishing reels from around the 1960’s. We called the creek a crick and Coke we called pop. Did a lot of cat fishing off of Lake Erie. My grandma would speak Dutch around the dinner table with all of her sisters. My grandpa was an antique restorer and would train us in the wood working techniques. I never heard the man cuss until one cold day we were getting out of his truck for rabbit season. He somehow broke his driver side window with the butt stock of His old Ithaca model 37. Oh and I thought I invented bow fishing when I was a kid. I had a fiberglass recurve bow with a Zebco 202 fishing reel mounted with electrical tape. I traveled every Tributary stream to Lake Erie on the hunt for carp and Frog Legs.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mixed mud and hauled block and brick for two old bricklayers. Kept my tongue hanging out all day. Those old men could really move. Bought my lunch and paid me $2 and hour. This was 1971. Purchased a double slick 1962 Mercury Vomit, I mean Comet for $250. After that summer I decided I better figure out a way to use my brain instead of my back to make a living.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much the same Lurker with the exception of spending the school year in military school in Claremore (OMA) for being an ******* that needed straightening out. I was deeply in lust and being away from my girlfriend was hard to bear. But I learned to appreciate, respect and desire military life.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purchased a double slick 1962 Mercury Vomit, I mean Comet for $250.

My dad tells me stories of their old vomit... His dad thought it looked pretty bad at the time. He (my grandpa) is very cheap. He made the kids paint it with Home exterior paint with roller brushes. My dad said the Vomit did not look any better after they got done. The car shortly died after my uncle hit a dairy cow on the way to Highschool.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Age 15 - enjoying life in southern Leflore County. Hauled hay for 2 cents a bale in the summer, hauled pulpwood for $12.50 per cord in the winter on a 1946 Ford truck, cleaned out broiler houses year-round for whatever we could get. Played football & baseball, swam in the creeks, hunted & fished sometimes, drank beer & smoked cigarettes whenever possible.

Cedar Creek

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hauled hay, built fence, mended fence, took care of cattle, was a handy man for a guy that was running a hunting cabin, keeping the place up for him.

First truck was an '85 Ford F150 w/302 that I ended up rattle canning black. I bought it for $800, in pieces. I had to put it back together by myself as much as I could for Dad to help me.

Spent more time sleeping under the stars listening to nature, hunting and eating bull frogs, fishing, etc, than I ever spent in my house. Oh how I miss the freedom now that I'm stuck in the city, not just for me, but the freedom that my kids can't experience now.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drove my mars orange honda trail 90 to work 14 mile round tripfor work for a farmer for $5 an hour mechanicing and running equipment and pops brought home my first truck...on a trailer and said the parts to fix it were in the box in the floor board. Had me a shiney new .22 hornet rifle and a tc contender with a 410 barrel. No critter was safe. Our place was on the Arkansas river so did more than my share of catching blues and flatheads. And could feh nearly any farm pond in 5 mile radius. Life was good.

Sent via message in a bottle

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was 15, I was working after school, weekends, and the summer in a auto body shop. I started at about 12. I really enjoyed that year. I was finally getting to spray the primer on the cars and felt like I was moving up. lol "Wanting to paint".
When I was 16, I learned how to hustle, by buying food stamps. I told that story once and it caused some butthurt, so now I will just laugh about it to myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom