When to restring a bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we don't have an archery section, I guess I ask this here. I have a PSE Silverhawk that I've had for about 10-11 years. I've never changed the string/cable. I don't shoot it that much, and I've probably fired around 1000 shots or so through it over the years. The string doesn't look freyed, but the serving is freying where the arrow nocks. So, should I get it serviced?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add a little more to that...
What you can't see (you said it looks good) is stretch. Once a string/cable stretches so much it will put your bow out of tune/spec. You can add more twist to your string/cables to put it back in spec but you can only do that so much. You don't want to go over to many twists. Serving as your said, usually wears the most and is visible, especially in points where it runs over angles on the cam(s).
String/cable sets are cheep, look at them like changing the oil in your truck.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hrmm....judging by the price of those strings, I might just get a new bow. IIRC, my dad only paid like $150 for this thing, and it looks like they're only worth around $100 in decent condition now. Kind of like printers and ink cartridges I guess, lol. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom