where are we at in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Saw the biggest two buck of the season so far this year tonight. I was driving home from a friends house and observed five bucks in a alfalfa field eating a way, not five feet from each other. Two were a couple of dinks, a nice eight, and two incredible tens, both conservative 150's. Not a doe on the field.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the deer not coming in as much. I was having them like clock work then the last two weeks they have almost completely disappeared. Last night I had two spike/fork bucks come in just before dark and then a few does shortly there after. I haven't seen my usually 3-4 bucks on camera in over two weeks. I did have one of the seven points chasing other deer off from the feeder a few weeks back though. I have only seen two fawns in my area this year, not sure what the deal is with this.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's been almost two weeks since this thread was started. Since that time has anyone noticed an increase of activity yet? Seems like there were a number of nice bucks taken in the last few days, I'm wondering if that is coinciding with pre-rut activity.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent most of the weekend in the stand, Sat. morning saw 1 spike early and a couple of does. Sat. evening saw 4 bucks and 3 does. The bucks were together and had 1 with signs of neck swelling I was trying to figure out which one was the biggest but they wouldn't keep their heads up out of the vegetation so I just watched. Sun. morning no deer, but one coyote took a dirt nap, I went to retrieve him and saw 3 rubs 20 yds from my stand and 3 more on the trail to the stand. the biggest deer on our camera is alone but the small bucks are still together. We have a 3 acre clover plot with a molasses and corn mix in a barrel in the middle and that area has lots of new rubs. There is also a large scrape at the edge of it that I put a camera on, 5 different bucks are using it and then rubbing saplings around it. I go to Mo. on the 11th for their season opener and the rut should be heating up there. We are usually 3-5 days behind them I just hope I can get on a 250lb field dressed buck there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy shot a decent 8 point yesterday morning, and its neck was swollen.
Watching some does, and bucks this evening, the bigger bucks were kind of hanging around, but the young studs were pestering the does to no end. (Saturday night at the bar)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i hunted northe crescent and out by cleo springs this weekend. no signs of the rut yet. didn't see any bucks by crescent and the young bucks were still running together up by cleo

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy shot a nice 8 last night up near Jet OK. His neck was swollen and he was working a scrape. I saw a single fork at my feeder while walking in, but other than that not a whole lot going on.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yearling bucks are chasing at out place, but they're dumb and don't really count. The 8 point I shot Thursday had dark tarsals and reeked to high hell.

I''ll be "getting serious" this weekend. The 2 weeks following that should be prime time IMO.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Does coming and going to feed as usual, little bucks dogging them like crazy. Havent seen a decent buck in 2 days and they were traveling thru grassy draws at first light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom