where are we at in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my same observation in NW OK through last Sunday. Hopefully, there will be more action this weekend, but that damn wind will be tricky. Good luck!

Dreaming Man
:osu

I had 6 does in the food plot, when a shooter 8 point came to his scrape, pee'd, rubbed his. Branch, ate a little wheat and went on his way. Some of the does actually walked by him. He didn't seem too concerned.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on the field and stream website the rut report on there is showing that this saturday the 19th will be one of the best days to hunt. not sure how accurate that is, but i hope its right.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to a pre-hunt meeting last night for a four day hunt at Lake Arcadia (Thursday -> Sunday). We got good news and bad news. The good news was that they had seen the bigger bucks coming out chasing - they even had witnesses call in and cell phone video of a buck having a doe pinned against a barb wire fence and he was breeding her. It was my understanding the buck used to have a certain name (he must have been one of their bigger ones to have a name), but since yesterday they are calling him "The Pervert".

So anyway, the good news is that bucks are moving, chasing and breeding. The bad news: The ODWC does a survey before the season and tells them how many bucks and does can be harvested each year to maintain a healthy herd. The number of bucks that can be harvested this year was 10 and unfortunately they reached 11 last weekend. Does only for the rest of the year. :(

You can imagine how deflated we were when they told us. All 15 of us groaned at the same time. Saw some pics of bucks killed and they had several that were +140". A couple big ones killed by car, too. Now that I think about it again, not all the pics of the big ones were killed this year.

There were pics of this 178" buck killed on 10.04.2011, which is a mere 2.5 or 3.5 miles from my house! http://newsok.com/yukon-hunter-harvests-huge-buck-at-arcadia-lake/article/3614134

Report updated 11.16.2011 from Newsok.com:
http://blog.newsok.com/outdoors/2011/11/16/the-rut-report/

Good luck this weekend and BE SAFE! I heading out to Arcadia after a 1/2 day in the office.

Dreaming Man
:osu

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On morning drive this morning I saw a couple of does cross the road ahead of me, so I floored it hoping to catch the buck following. Apparently he was a ways behind them, when I got going along at a pretty good speed, I caught something out of the corner of my eye up around the headliner. I instantly hit the breaks cause I knew what it was. The road has about a three foot embankment on the side, the buck had jumped the fence and cleared the embankment, and ALMOST came down on the hood of my truck. Luckily he missed it by about two feet. He had jumped from so high up he lost his footing when he hit the road and stumbled. Got his footing and after a couple of steps jumped again to clear the fence on the other side. His angle and distance were all off and he hit the fence nearly broadside and bounced off it. It looked very painful, but he quickly recovered and was gone. The last two days I have seen more activity than at any point, but didn't see as much this morning. Don't know if they were in lock down, or what... but just an observation.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive seen several bucks chasing does all week as well while on my way to work, but like r00s7a said, this morning i didnt see much activity either. not sure what the deal was. maybe just a coincidence...

Latest posts

Top Bottom