where are we at in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to say after sitting from 0615-1045 and 1345-1745 today, north central oklahoma is 100% in chase mode. Deer moved at all times when in the stand. No shooters this morning but lots of entertaining chasing. This evening I sat in a different locating because of wind change and still saw lots of chasing, also saw two shooters and they were wandering by themselves, wasn't able to come up with a shot at either one. Back after it tomorrow.

Same here.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started early at Lake Creek, as I always go to relatives this weekend. Just hunt on the ground. Saw two doe at sunrise, should have taken the larger one, but for some reason I did not. Saw several does later on in the AM. Only saw one buck chasing a doe, but they were on the neighbor's land so I did not shoot. After 1530 more does but on the neighbors land again, they have more woods there. Sunset 4 pointer started towards me crossing the alfalfa field. Four pointer but not to small his rack was really small, I let him go, although I want some meat. This AM does again but they went west again to the neighbor's woods. Just before I quit due to the wind and old age a really small 4 pointer came within 15 yards of me, but he was smaller than the two does I took there last year. I did not hear many shots both days and usually the areas west and northwest of me are like a war zone. One of the neighbor's sons who hunts only for the big racks was in a tree 6 or 700 yards northwest of me and never saw the big one he wanted and could have shot any of several larger does on Saturday.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i was camp cook this year and had a chance to drive around after cleaning the kitchen up. i made a twenty mile circle around aline ok. weaving through the back country. i saw LOTS of bucks chasing does but they were all little forks or 6's. i only saw one decent 8 and one 10 herding the girls. i'm thinking the big guys have either already spead their majic or it could happen this weekend up there?

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a couple of little forky horns chasing the does and a pretty nice 8 point that was more interested in staying alive then chasing girls. While I was trying to talk him into coming out to play a pretty nice 14 or 15 point came into view from a different direction. I was lucky enough to take him. The reason I say 14 or 15 is he is a 12 point frame with a couple of nice forks but when I checked him in the station called him a 15..I would have called him 14. I would post pictures but don't have any available at the time. Dennis Hoddy has the only picture of my deer at the time being..

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i didnt have much luck over the weekend. seen a 4 pt and a 6pt and a few does. on my drive in to work i usually go off the highway and take the back roads to see if there are any deer out and how they are acting. today i was late and didnt take the back road, but just off the highway as i topped a hill i could see a deer running towards the road. i looked a little further back off the road and there was a pretty nice 10 point. i sped up to get a better look as they were about to cross the road. as i got there, the doe cut back towards the trees and didnt cross the road and the buck took off chasing her pretty hard.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A fork horn was the only male deer I saw this w/e in Central OK between Thursday and Sunday. He chased a mature doe away, which left me no other choice but to arrow the juvenile female after she looked right at me in my blind (15 feet). Couldn't let her tell the other deer about my hiding spot. Actually, I got scent busted w/ both a South (Thursday) and North (Sunday) wind. I think it was due to a swirling wind in the corner of the field I was attempting my ambush. Coulda swore that the North wind was going to treat me right after the South wind bust ... oh well ... :anyone:

btw Rage 3 blade is devastating. Down w/ in 40 yards.
fwiw I heard very few shots over the weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom