where are we at in the rut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ok,i'm confused. never have seen activity like this before. yesterday i saw two sets of forkys and a doe. neither one seemed to care what gender the other was. no nudging,chasing,head down,anything. this was on two seperate peices of land 25 miles apart. then yesterday evening i saw the biggest herd of doe i've ever seen on my lease,11, and no bucks around at all. i saw two bucks being checked in at crescent. neither one had big necks and the glands were barely dark at all. WTH!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm seeing groups of does again, 4-10. Bigger bucks are with singles or by themselves. I had a giant bedded by my blind with a smaller buck and a doe on tues, waited him out till he stood up but the little buck decided it was time to go and they all just blew out of there with no shot.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hunting in Custer City and I've seen very minimal rutting activity. Buddy harvested a mature buck and his tar sells we're starting to turn black. Do we shot still wasn't in heat either.

Did we miss it???

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimal rutting activity here in the northwest. Lot of deer moving at night.

Was out on the Posey lease Wednesday, got an 8 point at 825 in the AM. No does, went back Thursday AM no does, just a couple of bucks, will try again during the next week for a doe on a non windy day. I have, in the past seen as many as ten does at once on Posey #2.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
post up some pics lone wolf, the next best thing to seeing my deer on the ground is to see someone elses on the ground.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was out on the Posey lease Wednesday, got an 8 point at 825 in the AM. No does, went back Thursday AM no does, just a couple of bucks, will try again during the next week for a doe on a non windy day. I have, in the past seen as many as ten does at once on Posey #2.

Congrats on the 8pt. Good luck next week. Been a strange year for rifle season, didn't see anything on Harmon area 1 sat and sun and usually see 20 deer a day out there.

Luv to see some pics of that 8!!

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i havent seen any bucks since opening day. seen a 4pt and 6pt that day and both were following does, but not really that aggressively. ive seen does since then several times, but havent seen any bucks following them. i have been seeing quite a few scrapes. guess the buck im looking for is only coming out at night or something. honestly im a little burnt out and bummed out right now. been hunting so much with no luck of seeing any bucks lately and its really getting me down. to top it off, a couple days ago i heard shots across the field from mine, so i get down to check it out after i hear a 4 wheeler. i get the binoculars out and see two guys dragging a big 8 point out of the creek. there are/were two bucks ive been trying to get since the beginning of bow season and that 8pt was one of them. now im just hoping the other big buck is still around. i moved my camera this morning to one of the bigger scrapes, so hopefully ill get a pic soon and see if its the big one or not. guess ill try again in the morning.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm seeing groups of does again, 4-10. Bigger bucks are with singles or by themselves. I had a giant bedded by my blind with a smaller buck and a doe on tues, waited him out till he stood up but the little buck decided it was time to go and they all just blew out of there with no shot.

Same here. The does are starting to come out into the open in groups, and the bucks are nowhere to be seen.
Went with a buddy tonight to put up a stand and check his cameras. We walked into one little 15 acre area, and jumped 8 does and one smaller buck. They ran about 200 yds, and just wandered around the treeline, so we did what we came to do and left quietly.
the rut is on the decline in our area.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seen a smaller 8 pt this morning and it was all alone. im still looking for the bigger buck that ive seen on my camera. if i dont see the big one soon, i may have to take the one i seen today if it gives me another opportunity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom