Where Do You Buy Used Guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Armslist, various forums. No 4473 required. Don’t know if those are technically “cool kids clubs” or not.
Well, he said he was looking for places that weren't online forums or classifieds. No pawn shops or other FFLs. That pretty much encompasses the entire legitimate secondhand market outside of a buddy selling you something. So the only other market I can think of is the less-than-legitimate market.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, he said he was looking for places that weren't online forums or classifieds. No pawn shops or other FFLs. That pretty much encompasses the entire legitimate secondhand market outside of a buddy selling you something. So the only other market I can think of is the less-than-legitimate market.
OK - I somehow missed that. I'm good at that.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I use the classifieds here and armslist pretty extensively, I’ve bought dozens from there over the years. But not in a long time. Was more curious if there were other outlets that I am missing as I haven’t been buying in 5-6 years or even paying too close of attention. Of course gun shows are an option but as someone else said unless you are looking for something ultra specific and hard to find, even the private party stuff is pretty inflated.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course here, in the classifieds and Armslist have always been my go to. But is there any other avenue where I am not aware of?

I dont mean like gunbroker or something where they are shipping to an FFL, but other places to find FTF local ish guns to buy?
I use to always check the newspaper adds back in the day

Last edited:

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pawn shops but you're lucky to see anything worth having there that you couldn't get new for almost the same price. Lots and lots of shotguns at pawnshops. The occasional milsurp rifle. And of course cheapo potmetal pistols.

There's always gunshows, but I don't feel like prices have ever normalized at gunshows since Obama's first term. I went to Spring 2021 Wanenmacher's and it was just overpriced hunting rifles, overpriced private sellers, and tables upon tables of the cheapest AR-15 builds possible selling for ~$1,000. And ammo for 30-50cpr higher than it was going for online at the time. There wasn't even a good beef jerky or ww2 memorabilia table.
Surely you understand price is driven by supply and demand. This past April, the supply was extremely short and demand was extremely high at the big show.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely you understand price is driven by supply and demand. This past April, the supply was extremely short and demand was extremely high at the big show.
Sure. But that doesn't really excuse the past 12 years of bad prices at shows. Especially 2017-2019. I was able to find brass CCI 9mm for 18cpr online consistently but at gun shows the big sign amazing deals would be 25cpr. PSA ARs going for $750-800 when they could be had for $500. I just stopped going at some point, the only reason I went to the spring show this year was to try and sell a rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom