Where Do You Buy Used Guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure. But that doesn't really excuse the past 12 years of bad prices at shows. Especially 2017-2019. I was able to find brass CCI 9mm for 18cpr online consistently but at gun shows the big sign amazing deals would be 25cpr. PSA ARs going for $750-800 when they could be had for $500. I just stopped going at some point, the only reason I went to the spring show this year was to try and sell a rifle.
So I"m assuming you sold your rifle ? And if so, I'm guessing you didn't sell it for pre-2017 prices---- rather you sold at April's market value ?

Just an assumption I"m making...........

It's a two way street you see.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I"m assuming you sold your rifle ? And if so, I'm guessing you didn't sell it for pre-2017 prices---- rather you sold at April's market value ?

Just an assumption I"m making...........

It's a two way street you see.
Yeah, ignore everything I said and cherrypick the point you're trying to make that is unrelated to the main point of my postings. For the record, I didn't sell it, mostly because I couldn't find a replacement at a reasonable price and didn't want to be without. The spring 2021 show being inflated is somewhat understandable, that doesn't change the past decade of declining show quality. Nor does it excuse the fact that at least a third of the tables were all chinesium potmetal ARs being sold for unreasonable prices. At least it saved me some time, when I looked at a table and saw the same rifle three times in a row I knew I could just keep walking. The only table that really caught my eye in the whole show was a guy doing an estate sale, and he wanted $3k for a used 106f which were going for ~$2.5k NIB on gunjoker. Don't pretend like I'm saying I expect prices to go back to pre-2008 levels. I just want to go to a show where things are priced within 10% of what they are going for online so I can justify spending a bit more to support a local and not deal with shipping. If the gun costs a grand at your table and is going for 900 online, I'll buy yours. If it costs $1400 at your table and is 900 online I'm going to laugh while I walk away. Same for ammo. I'll pay a few cpr more but I'm not shelling out an extra dime to a quarter per bullet. I'll wait for it to ship. In the modern age, Gunbroker has more variety and similar prices to the shows. It just isn't worth my time anymore, and I honestly don't know how these shows keep happening. All my buddies agree. Modern shows are just an excuse to meet up and shoot the breeze in person while getting your steps for the day.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, ignore everything I said and cherrypick the point you're trying to make that is unrelated to the main point of my postings. For the record, I didn't sell it, mostly because I couldn't find a replacement at a reasonable price and didn't want to be without. The spring 2021 show being inflated is somewhat understandable, that doesn't change the past decade of declining show quality. Nor does it excuse the fact that at least a third of the tables were all chinesium potmetal ARs being sold for unreasonable prices. At least it saved me some time, when I looked at a table and saw the same rifle three times in a row I knew I could just keep walking. The only table that really caught my eye in the whole show was a guy doing an estate sale, and he wanted $3k for a used 106f which were going for ~$2.5k NIB on gunjoker. Don't pretend like I'm saying I expect prices to go back to pre-2008 levels. I just want to go to a show where things are priced within 10% of what they are going for online so I can justify spending a bit more to support a local and not deal with shipping. If the gun costs a grand at your table and is going for 900 online, I'll buy yours. If it costs $1400 at your table and is 900 online I'm going to laugh while I walk away. Same for ammo. I'll pay a few cpr more but I'm not shelling out an extra dime to a quarter per bullet. I'll wait for it to ship. In the modern age, Gunbroker has more variety and similar prices to the shows. It just isn't worth my time anymore, and I honestly don't know how these shows keep happening. All my buddies agree. Modern shows are just an excuse to meet up and shoot the breeze in person while getting your steps for the day.
OK

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
in all honesty tho, what would be the regulations on actually finding a gun in such manner? like using a metal detector and coming across one?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in all honesty tho, what would be the regulations on actually finding a gun in such manner? like using a metal detector and coming across one?
Unless it was deposited recently, it's not likely worth saving anyway. :anyone:

However... it would prudent to check the serial# with authorities. I'm guessing more murder/robbery weapons are thrown into lakes/rivers than are accidently lost by good ol' boys in boating accidents.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
___

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure. But that doesn't really excuse the past 12 years of bad prices at shows. Especially 2017-2019. I was able to find brass CCI 9mm for 18cpr online consistently but at gun shows the big sign amazing deals would be 25cpr. PSA ARs going for $750-800 when they could be had for $500. I just stopped going at some point, the only reason I went to the spring show this year was to try and sell a rifle.
I agree in a sense. But I will still go to Wannamachers just for the fun of it. But the little ones aren't worth going to unless I am searching for something special and willing to pay a mark up for it

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pawn shops but you're lucky to see anything worth having there that you couldn't get new for almost the same price. Lots and lots of shotguns at pawnshops. The occasional milsurp rifle. And of course cheapo potmetal pistols.

There's always gunshows, but I don't feel like prices have ever normalized at gunshows since Obama's first term. I went to Spring 2021 Wanenmacher's and it was just overpriced hunting rifles, overpriced private sellers, and tables upon tables of the cheapest AR-15 builds possible selling for ~$1,000. And ammo for 30-50cpr higher than it was going for online at the time. There wasn't even a good beef jerky or ww2 memorabilia table.
Pawn shops can be a good place to find guns that are out of production. I picked up a SIG P250 9mm subcompact I saw on Armslist that was for sale by a local pawn shop. I drove over to the shop, checked out the pistol, and bought it at a very fair price, IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom