Where to go for prairie dogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to hunting....what can I say, I was born in New Jersey! I have been asking around on where I might be able to go find prairie dog hunting (preferably for free?) and have yet to receive any solid straight forward advice. So, the first question is where can I go for this? Second, what kind of gear do I need for such an outing (other than the rifle)? Lastly, is this something that is ok for my 6 year old to partake in? He has been begging to go but since I have no knowledge of this I wasn't sure. All advice welcome!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its only allowed on private land. Some landowners allow it with permission, others charge a daily fee. Many places have cattle, machinery, buildings, and tank batteries on the same places. A small caliber rifle with extremely frangible bullets are necessary in most areas I have shot prarie dogs. The places I shot prairie dogs wasn't newbie friendly, as the dogs were spooky and shots were 250+ yards out. Often times we had to watch where cattle were, watch for passing vehicles in the distance as the land was pretty flat and you could easily see a mile.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its only allowed on private land. Some landowners allow it with permission, others charge a daily fee. Many places have cattle, machinery, buildings, and tank batteries on the same places. A small caliber rifle with extremely frangible bullets are necessary in most areas I have shot prarie dogs. The places I shot prairie dogs wasn't newbie friendly, as the dogs were spooky and shots were 250+ yards out. Often times we had to watch where cattle were, watch for passing vehicles in the distance as the land was pretty flat and you could easily see a mile.

Ok....any places or guide hunts you old recommend?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok....any places or guide hunts you old recommend?

I am sworn to secrecy on the places my group shoots on. The old timers I shoot with talk about the days before many of the towns have been poisoned out. Many of the landowners in the early 2000s feared the prairie dog would become protected or the poison they used to control the spread of towns would be outlawed and many tried to wipe the towns out before this happened. I know at least a half dozen towns that were wiped out in just a few years that we used to shoot on.
There used to be a outfitter by Gracemont (No Mercy) but I believe there towns have been eliminated.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sworn to secrecy on the places my group shoots on. The old timers I shoot with talk about the days before many of the towns have been poisoned out. Many of the landowners in the early 2000s feared the prairie dog would become protected or the poison they used to control the spread of towns would be outlawed and many tried to wipe the towns out before this happened. I know at least a half dozen towns that were wiped out in just a few years that we used to shoot on.
There used to be a outfitter by Gracemont (No Mercy) but I believe there towns have been eliminated.

I understand. Well, if anyone knows of even a reasonably priced place I can go I would be in for it. I just am really not sure where else to look....

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a bit of a drive but I worked in Amarillo last year and any farmer or rancher we asked welcomed us. They had plenty. Lots of fun. Take more than one rifle and plenty of ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom