wheres the AR guys? i need help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

ItchypeeperRB25

I have been researching AR-10s and looking for a good site to order from and what model best suits me, i like to target shoot but i also go hog hunting and deer hunting. but i have been reading about these guns with and without forward assist. what is that? and im a lefty is there a left handed AR i can get? and besides armalite and fn hersal whats a good maker. im thinking about buyin a dicent gun that i can play with and build or is it better to just buy the best model off the bat? thanks for your help guys

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
stag arms makes LH ar's. Now if they make an AR-10 type rifle i dont know. A forward assist is located on the righthand side of the upper reciever and can help with the bolt carrier group going into battery,but it can also make a problem of a stuck shell worse. CMMG and DPMS also make AR-10 type rifles and so does Knights armament.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're a pro operator who fights for a living or a soldier, I'd say ditch the forward assist if it's going to save you money.

Not once have I ever used the forward assist, even in malfunctions or when a round refuses to go into battery and the bolt doesn't close all the way. Typically it's better to try and strip the round out and clear whatever is wrong and then rack a new round in. The forward assist is mainly an "O SH*T!" moment where you absolutely need to chamber that stuck round to get 1 good shot off... which honestly is all you will probably get because using the forward assist to mash a round in will most certainly cause more headaches after the fact.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like stated, Stag makes the lefties, and they do the best job at it. However, you could build a standard right handed AR for cheaper then one of their lefty models. Really comes down to how much a left handed specific rifle means to you. Btw, I wouldn't get hung up on the forward assist deal. Most all AR's come with it by default. As far as factory built, ready to go rifles; I feel that Rock River makes the best ones right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom