Which choke for ducks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to waterfoul also. Since I'm not that good at getting them to come in super close I went with a full choke so I can take them when they are coming in and landing farther out. I'm still trying to find the right mix of shell/choke. Now if I had them landing in the middle of my spread it would be a different story.

I went with a carleson's full/long range choke. I might try a mid-range next season.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to waterfoul also. Since I'm not that good at getting them to come in super close I went with a full choke so I can take them when they are coming in and landing farther out. I'm still trying to find the right mix of shell/choke. Now if I had them landing in the middle of my spread it would be a different story.

I went with a carleson's full/long range choke. I might try a mid-range next season.

Make sure to go out and pattern your gun, I know its been preached before, but it is worth your time.

My IM choke shoots my 3" #3's tighter than my steel full choke.

I shot a couple that went total lights out (not a kick or wing flap) this weekend at about 50yrds with 3" 4's with my IM choke, any tighter than that and you really hammer them hard (messed up meat) when they are closer.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
if memory serves me right, the modified is only .005 tighter restriction than IC making it perform almost identical in most guns. my pattern in my benelli m2 is the exact same size in M and IC except the IC is more even. as was said,pattern your gun when you get a chance with a variety of ammo. just knowing what your pattern looks like on paper will make you a more confident shot.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if memory serves me right, the modified is only .005 tighter restriction than IC making it perform almost identical in most guns. my pattern in my benelli m2 is the exact same size in M and IC except the IC is more even. as was said,pattern your gun when you get a chance with a variety of ammo. just knowing what your pattern looks like on paper will make you a more confident shot.

Amen!

Latest posts

Top Bottom