Which deer to shoot for managment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some advice on what deer you would recommend that I take for best herd management.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, I've lived in Oklahoma for awhile but I've always deer hunted in Kansas due to the quality of deer up on the family farm compared to this part of Oklahoma. This year I'm planning on taking 1-2 deer here on the land I have access to north of Tulsa. My boss owns the land and likes to run a feeder in the fall to see the deer on the pictures the game camera sends to his phone so I have good pictures of the deer. However, no one has taken a deer on this piece of land in at least 5 years. Its 160 acres but most of it is open land. This area is pretty open so theres not a whole lot of cover excluding trees on hedgerows or along creeks. The neighbors all hunt so there is a decent amount of hunting pressure. 95% of the bucks over the last 5 years on the camera have 1.5 year old spikes, some with a tiny fork at the top. Rarely will we see a 2.5 or 3.5 year old buck on the camera and usually only for a week or so.

Right now we have a group of 3 young bucks in a group, 3-4 does and 5-6 fawns. I have included some pictures below.

Assuming I don't get a chance at a mature buck, would you recommend shooting a young buck or a doe? I would normally shoot the doe for meat but considering the hunting pressure, maybe maximizing the reproducing does would help out the herd the best? What do you guys think? Getting a deer won't be a problem because I see them on the cameras all day long in different areas of the property.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is keep shooting the does. What is the hunting pressure like around you?

I know for sure that land on the South and on the east side is hunted. The land to the south has a feed plot, corn feeder, and stand about 10 yards past the fence. The land to the east is hunted because the owner came by looking for a deer stand he says he thinks he "accidentally" put on the property. By the way, there's no way you "accidentally" confuse a 160 acre quarter section of fenced off land as part of your 60 acre tract, especially when both are open land and you have to cross/climb our fence and walk 550 yards of open ground into our tract to reach said stand. But I digress.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If all your seeing is little fork horns, I'd say you have a lot Of hunting pressure in the area, and they aren't practicing QDMA practices.
I'd work on the does.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If all your seeing is little fork horns, I'd say you have a lot Of hunting pressure in the area, and they aren't practicing QDMA practices.
I'd work on the does.

I think you're correct. Unfortunately I think much of the hunting in this area is "if it's brown, it's down".

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're correct. Unfortunately I think much of the hunting in this area is "if it's brown, it's down".

That's why it's impossible to "manage" free range IMO. Your "cull" buck doesn't meet the definition of your neighbors "cull" and vise versa.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd kill the biggest nanny and let the little bucks go. We've been passing young bucks and shooting a few does for 11 years, and we now kill a "trophy" buck almost every year. My place is only 360 acres that is bordered by 1400(+/-) acres of hunting leases on the south and east, and the land west and north are cow pastures with no one hunting them.

There is one sure way to stunt a bucks growth, and that's to shoot him when he's young.

Latest posts

Top Bottom