Which deer to shoot for managment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100% guarantee that if you shoot one of those small bucks, it will never have the chance to be a big buck. If you want to shoot one, have at it! If all you want is some meat in the freezer, shoot a doe.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't plan on "managing" the herd on that little bit of land. The only realistic chance would be to make friends with the surrounding neighbors and try to get them on board. Otherwise I think any effort will be futile. I personally would just shoot does and hope to catch a big buck passing through. You can also make your side of the fence more desirable with habitat management.

Last edited:

Taylmatr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait a little to kill a doe. More than likely the big ones will move through by last of October first of November. I've seen lots of spots that had a abundance of little guys till about the last of October and then the decent bucks move in like crazy. Bucks seem to range a lot more than people think. But they won't until there forced (bumped too many times) or want too ( get horny lol).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't plan on "managing" the herd on that little bit of land. The only realistic chance would be to make friends with the surrounding neighbors and try to get them on board. Otherwise I think any effort will be futile. I personally would just shoot does and hope to catch a big buck passing through. You can also make your side of the fence more desirable with habitat management.

It will take a lot of neighbors depending on how much land they own. I'm in an open area, and its not uncommon to follow the same set of tracks in a muddy road for a couple of miles. The old thought was bucks live and die in a 1 sq mile. In the dense woods of the NE and NW, that might be true, but in most places in OK, I'd bet it more of a 5 sq mile range or more if you go out west. Had some amazing bucks show up on camera one time and one time only.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree with this and other posts, unless you have 5000 plus acres in prime deer country, (Like Roosta in SE Oklahoma or like retrieverman have a great river property) management is just a pipe dream, with that said, I have 140 acres in east logan county and an 80 in west logan county, 10 or better rule unless its a STUD 8 or 9 or your a kid, neighbors don't follow that protocol and both properties are hunted on at least 2 sides, as a result, we are seeing far less and smaller bucks now than just 5 years ago, wasn't uncommon in 2006-2013 to have pics of 4-5 deer a year 140 inch plus, now? just happy to get a pic or visual of 1 buck 140 or better, cant do anything about it, we work our ground, plant plots, leave sanctuaries, but they get off of it more often than not and get killed. I just picked up a new spot a month ago, 400 acres split in half by the N Canadian, have high hopes for it, time will tell. In the meantime, shoot one of those big does, let those little knucklehead bucks walk, you never know what they will turn into.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far. About the Christmas lights, the owners soncar camped back there during the spring a couple times and has a bunch of metal poles set up around a campfire with Christmas lights that he runs off a generator.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome! get em running, should help with night pics! Seriously, looks like you have a great spot to hunt, they want to be on your property so minimize the intrusions, the does will bring the bigger bucks around come November, hope to see a pic of you posted behind a nice buck in the near future! Happy hunting!

Latest posts

Top Bottom