Which Predator call for under $200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought the flextone mimic last week. took it out monday, due to the high wind and me not getting setup in the right location I got busted twice before I could get a shot. wish it was a little louder though.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya'll got me all excited about the FoxPro Spitfire now. I read over a lot of reviews and compared the Spitfire to the Wildfire. Spitfire is $200 and the Wildfire is $300. About the only differences I could find was a couple of more buttons on the Wildfire remote, more volume levels (but same max and min volume), and the ability to hold more calls on the Wildfire, which isn't really even necessary for just predator hunting. I can't justify an extra hundred for those features. All the reviews were pretty complimentary on the Spitfire as an introductory level call. As soon as I get off work I am driving to McAlester to pick one up if they have them in stock. I've never been a big coyote hunter, all I have ever had is a mouth call. By the time I get done calling I am light headed and have to move my hands to get on the trigger. This sounds like exactly what I need to get into it.

I have been tempted to order the spitfire off of ebay for 174.99 and it comes with free shipping.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Got my FoxPro Spitfire in yesterday and it doesn't work worth a flip! It plays all the sounds correctly, but if you get more than 10 yards from the device, it won't pick up the signal from the remote. If I am a few feet from it, it works fine, but back up a few yards... crickets. Was already using new batteries, but bought another set, same thing. Based on all the reviews, the remote is supposed to work at greater distances, so I think this is just a faulty unit. That is the beauty of the device is being able to operate it remotely, without that feature I might as well be using a tape recorder.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Got my FoxPro Spitfire in yesterday and it doesn't work worth a flip! It plays all the sounds correctly, but if you get more than 10 yards from the device, it won't pick up the signal from the remote. If I am a few feet from it, it works fine, but back up a few yards... crickets. Was already using new batteries, but bought another set, same thing. Based on all the reviews, the remote is supposed to work at greater distances, so I think this is just a faulty unit. That is the beauty of the device is being able to operate it remotely, without that feature I might as well be using a tape recorder.

ahhh man that blows! did you call them and see if they have any advice on how to fix the problem yourself before you have to send it back? i would be so bummed out waiting for it to come in the mail just to have it not work! i bet you were plannin on takin it out this weekend to....

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got that right! I was bummed first of all cause I couldn't find anyone between Antlers and Dallas that had one in stock for last weekend, so I ordered it online. Got here yesterday... suuuuucked. And of course I was going to take it out this weekend! And every day between now and then when I get off work! Fortunately, it will still work, but I have to be sitting right beside it, which helps any critter pin you down. I guess I'll take my chances doing that versus sitting at home. On hold with their tech support now seeing if they have any advice.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

^not saying that this will help or cure your problem...it could be bad out the box who knows???

i know this will sound stupid, so hear me out....try and hold your remote so that it is verticle (antenna aiming at the sky) and see if this works better. if you aim the antenna at the call (like changing channels on a tv), the wave length is going more of a verticle (up and down) direction. i had your same complaint issues at first with my foxpro FX3, the calling was finicky. i went out with a guy that had more experience with me and he pointed out what i was doing wrong, because i was aiming at the call (cause i'm use to changing channels on the tv). aiming the remote antenna upward allows the wave length to travel horizontal with the landscape. Also make sure the remote is high enough in the air to send signal, sometimes if the remotes are low to the ground the signal can not get threw the thicker grass, tress, etc...

i still have small issues with getting my fx3 started at times. i set it down, put on to low volume, send the call # i want, stand by the call and mess with the mute button a few times till i hear the call, mute the call, then i set the call volume up, go to the hidy hole area and start the set.

like i said, i don't know if it will help out...

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I read that same recommendation on another website while doing some research. The spitfire doesn't have an antenna, but I did try aiming it up and got a little better results out of it, maybe an extra yard or two. I think this one is flat out defective. Other forums I read where people were having this same problem, the distances were out to 50 yards or above, which should still work depending on the conditions. This one won't work past ten yards without a single blade of grass between the transmitter and receiver. Amazon is shipping me a new one that will be here tomorrow, so no sweat! Thanks for the assistance!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Foxpro Scorpion will work out to around 100 yrds if I have line of sight to it. I try to hang in on a bush of fence post where it is up where I can see it from my sit location. If I ever get it below the curve of the hill or behind a terrace, I have to be within 10-20 yrds to make it work. Sounds like you did get a bad one. They are a good company though and will help you out. I'd call them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom