Which revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is ready to send in her paperwork for CCW and she hates the little TCP I bought for her to carry. Having put more thought into it, a small lightweight revolver may be a better choice. I had all but purchased the LCR and then she see's the S&W Bodyguard .38 with the Insight laser attached. She likes the idea of just shooting whatever she's got the red dot on but is the positioning of the laser button too much to think about during a stressful encounter? Has anyone shot both guns with a strong preference of one or the other? The S&W seems to fit her hand better but the barrel release seems a bit strange to me. Adding the CT lasergrip to the LCR is an option if it is a much better gun overall, just brings the cost to over $200 more than the S&W.

What are your suggestions?

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bodyguard is a very capable defensive weapon, recoil can be somewhat sharp, but if it fits her hand and she has shot one and is comfy with it, by all means buy it. IMO while tactical reloads can be important in a fire fight and I always believe in carrying one reload, most the stuff that I have read state, that most times the defensive shooting is over at 3 shots. Some will say " what about multiple assailants?", to me this is the fire fight argument and not really a self defense issue or at least a rare one. If 3 armed peolpe are shooting at you, at the same time, your survival % goes down no matter what gun you have. Lastly the laser, while I think that are a good training tool and have certain applications, I think the snub gun should be indexed or point shot not so much aimed as a target gun. Snubs are accurate. I don't want to be focused on where the red dot is at, or better said worried where the dot is at. 5 hits center mass or 'between the shirtpockets' will stop just about any threat.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1. The gun is for her, not you.

2. If she hasn't shot one of these lightweights, get her to the range to shoot them.

3. Just because they feel good now doesn't mean they will feel good shooting.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is ready to send in her paperwork for CCW and she hates the little TCP I bought for her to carry. Having put more thought into it, a small lightweight revolver may be a better choice. I had all but purchased the LCR and then she see's the S&W Bodyguard .38 with the Insight laser attached. She likes the idea of just shooting whatever she's got the red dot on but is the positioning of the laser button too much to think about during a stressful encounter? Has anyone shot both guns with a strong preference of one or the other? The S&W seems to fit her hand better but the barrel release seems a bit strange to me. Adding the CT lasergrip to the LCR is an option if it is a much better gun overall, just brings the cost to over $200 more than the S&W.

What are your suggestions?

Personally.. Let her shoot similar guns before you buy them.

Most new shooters- male or female... do pretty well with a K framed SW.. or even a steel J frame. I'd stay away from the lightweights- they are not the gun to learn on. I have shot and owned alloy and steel J frames over the years... guess what I carry? Steel- worth the extra ounces and a heck of a lot easier to shoot well.

Lasers... In addition to finding the button under stress... I find lazers to be distracting.

Lastly... In addition to letting her pick the gun... get her to pick some instruction with it. CCW folks who want to carry should have a personal vestment in being Qualified to shoot the gun they pack.

There is a lot to know about shooting a defensive gun... and some things you cannot learn by reading or jawing about it. Instruction is worth the time and money.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a range near you where she can try a few.
H&H in OKC rents guns and I know at least a few have benefitted from this.

Of course the other side of this is you can buy several and let her decide which she likes and then keep all the rest for yourself. :naughty::D

Latest posts

Top Bottom