which S&W to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a chance to buy either a model 60 or a model 442 for the same money. which way to go? while the 442 is hammerless, its blue/black and will scratch.
the 60 has a hammer (but I got a bobbed one in my parts drawer)and stainless. decisions,decisions
which way would you go?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The 60 will weigh a noticeable amount more, but it would be a better range gun, will be worth more, and will almost certainly have a better trigger.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots to be said for owning a lightweight to actually carry, with an all steel or stainless steel version of the same to put heavy practice rounds downrange. The steel gun sure is more enjoyable to practice with.

I distinctly do not enjoy shooting .357's in snubbies. Follow up shots are tough.

For belt carry, alloy or steel don't make a difference. For pocket or ankle carry, the lightweight is better.

A stainless finish will outwear blue or blacked finishes. A worn finish on a carry gun is only a sign of honest use, so it doesn't especially bother me.

The Centennial style Smith's, with the fully concealed hammer, are more comfortable to carry in some holsters. In some holsters, an exposed hammer can be a literal pain, as well as a possible source of snagging during a presentation.

If buying the gun primarily for carry, go the 442. If primarily for range or home defense, get the 60.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots to be said for owning a lightweight to actually carry, with an all steel or stainless steel version of the same to put heavy practice rounds downrange. The steel gun sure is more enjoyable to practice with.

I distinctly do not enjoy shooting .357's in snubbies. Follow up shots are tough.

For belt carry, alloy or steel don't make a difference. For pocket or ankle carry, the lightweight is better.

A stainless finish will outwear blue or blacked finishes. A worn finish on a carry gun is only a sign of honest use, so it doesn't especially bother me.

The Centennial style Smith's, with the fully concealed hammer, are more comfortable to carry in some holsters. In some holsters, an exposed hammer can be a literal pain, as well as a possible source of snagging during a presentation.

If buying the gun primarily for carry, go the 442. If primarily for range or home defense, get the 60.

Agree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom