which S&W to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the concealed hammer double action snubbies are the best small carry guns. I have an older 442 with laser grips,a Taurus 850 CIA Ti,and a Ruger LCR. The newer 442 are +P rated but,the older ones aren't.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you figure? S&W has it's name all over it, and it is a piece of ****...I read that I need to send it in and S&W will replace the sub-standard parts they put in it...with what? Not so substandard parts?

Well for one thing, S&W designed the revolvers, they did not design the PPK/S. I didn't care for the Walther manufactured PPK/S I took on trade once either.

EVERY major manufacturer has shipped a firearm that didn't work 100%. The true indicator of quality is how they handle making it right. S&W is noted for very good customer service. In effect, your statistical sample of one is just a drop in the bucket. For every one of you, there's a hundred folks who are completely happy with their S&W purchase. :thumb:

Reaction score
Got a chance to buy either a model 60 or a model 442 for the same money. which way to go?

Depends - lock or no lock? Whichever one does NOT have the lock. Neither one if they both do - go older.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want or consider buying a PPK, new, used, old, or otherwise - after consistently reading year after year after year dozens upon dozens of the same old reports of very sketchy reliability and getting bitten, particularly with high price - and that was BEFORE they became completely obsolete with the new smaller .380s about 10 years back. LET ALONE how people seem to want to seek them out and get them for some odd reason. A lot like Glocks in that respect. At least Glocks are very reliable, which you cannot say for the PPK.

Having said that, I think Clampett is right and makes a good point - how can you trust a maker to use good quality parts in *anything* when they use crap parts in *anything else* they make? I wouldn't touch any S&W revolver made past 1985, or maybe 1990 myself. Barrel shrouds instead of crush fit, no P&R, locks ... it all just starts to make me queasy.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only experience with S&W has been with a Walther PPK/S made by S&W. And it is a PIECE OF ****......

How do you figure? S&W has it's name all over it, and it is a piece of ****...I read that I need to send it in and S&W will replace the sub-standard parts they put in it...with what? Not so substandard parts?

Good luck selling your gun in the classifieds, after you have told everyone what a piece of sh*t it is.

And hilarity ensues...

:rollingla

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So the gun your selling in the OSA classifieds has not had the replacement parts?

I didn't see that stated in your ad...

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only experience with S&W has been with a Walther PPK/S made by S&W. And it is a PIECE OF ****......

Good luck with substandard parts in your S&W revolvers.......

adigitaldaily.allthingsd.com_files_2010_02_double_facepalm.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom