Which scope for E Oklahoma whitetail hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new around here but not new to shooting and the outdoors in general.

I recently got permission to hunt a new property in the far eastern part of the state near Marble City/Flute Springs. Now I have been out to the property and it is completely different than the areas I'm used to going in the past (west OK near Okeene/Enid)

These tight woods and hills kinda make my 3-9x a little too much so I was wondering what you folks have used in similar situations.

I have been looking for a decent fixed 2.5-2.75x but haven't found much but scout or ar scopes (not into the long eye relief type). I have also been thinking the Nikon monarch African 1-4x20 seems like a good compromise along with the leupold fx-ii 2.5x20 ultralight. I've seen a couple others I am interested in such as the fx-ii 4x33 but I feel it might be a little extreme for my hunting situation and really even any of the ranges I frequent nowadays with shots never exceeding 250-300yds.

So in general, what would you recommend for my situation and what has worked for you in the past. I appreciate any response and I am happy to find this little community resource

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your scope on 3x will be fine. But if I was to try a budget scope that might fit your situation it would be Vortex Optics Diamondback Rifle Scope 1.75-5x 32mm Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Matte . The size and weight would work great.

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I have checked out the vortex you mentioned but I haven't tried that particular leupold. To me personally, in the store the leupolds seem pretty on par clarity wise with the Nikon and vortex scopes that I checked out (vx-ii & monarch/prostaff lines) but the Nikon seems to have more color saturation vs the other two and Burris IMO.

I do like that leupold is made in the USA but I have heard that they are only ASSEMBLED here but the parts are foreign. Also heard their glass was purchased from Nikon.

Thank you folks once again for the quick responses and for passing along your experience and knowledge to others without being judgemental or condescending, even a noob around here like me :D I have had bad experiences in the past on forums similar to this site.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome Justin. If youre hunting eastern OK you only need open sites! Well, unless you are hunting over a field. Most areas around here are so thick that you can use a rock on a stick an just knock them out.

Good luck out there!

Justin184

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah it is really thick over there 120! I think I am going to bring my sks for open sights and my Swedish Mauser with the scope I pick out if I have the time to get it in and zeroed & whatnot. I love some irons but I figured I'd bring a scope on one rifle in case I end up in an area I need to thread the needle so to speak.

Oh BTW, nice booty on your profile pic 120acres @_@

Latest posts

Top Bottom