Which shotgun should I keep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^^^ This. There is a lot of blind Remmy love going around ... but I've said before and I'll say it again - they haven't made a decent gun since 1944 :(

I have pumps, semis, OU and SxS - but Mossy 500 sits next to bed, and is my go-to gun.

No blind anything here, just experience with 500 Persuader.Crappiest shotgun I ever owned.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Am I the only Mossy lover in da house? :ugh2:

Keep the Mossberg 500.

You're not alone in preferring the Mossberg 500 over the 870. I've owned 2 REM 870's and 3 mossbergs. A 500, a 590, and an 88.
The remington 870 is the biggest pos I've ever owned. Both of mine would jam to the point where you would have to slam the buttstock on the ground while working the forearm to cycle the next round.

All of the mossbergs i had were perfect, but I decided since mossberg wants to start doing stupid stuff like chainsaw grips and zombie stickers, I won't own anymore products from them.
I'm all about Benelli now, which by the way, beats the Hell outta everything else out there by far.

bluegrassZ71

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which model of 870 we are talking about in these posts? I agree that the 870 Express isn't the nicest shotgun out there but the 870 Wingmaster is a smooth shooter.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe I should be more clear.....I already have a home defense shotty as well as plenty of handguns. so I am strictly looking for a hunting/field gun and I know that the 1100 only takes 2 3/4 shells and that is my question. do I need 3 or 3 1/2 shells or is 2 3/4 enough? also in a field situation why are so many of you recommending a pump over a semi-auto?

If you already have a HD shotgun, then I'd say sell all of them and then buy what you really want for a hunting shotgun. The 1100 is a fine shotgun and soft shooting, but 2 3/4" chamber may be limiting, especially for duck and/or turkey. You'll probably want a gun that can atleast chamber a 3" shell and have screw in chokes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom